3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
hitmand850
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BigSloth;3022216]Not true. A compressor works like an engine, it has pistons that pump the refrigerant. Over time they can wear out and the performance of the unit will drop until it can no longer sustain the load of the system. <br />
<br />
But the sudden stop of cooling in this situation says that's not the case here. It's probably sensor related.<br />
<br />
What sensors should I Check?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM
BigSloth
Professional

Evaporator temp sensor.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSloth
Not true. A compressor works like an engine, it has pistons that pump the refrigerant. Over time they can wear out and the performance of the unit will drop until it can no longer sustain the load of the system.

But the sudden stop of cooling in this situation says that's not the case here. It's probably sensor related.
Not related to the topic of the thread, but there are also scroll compressor types that are sometimes used in automotive applications. Those operate on an entirely different internal compression mechanism (similar to a supercharger).

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
BigSloth
Professional

Yes, I was mainly referring to the most common wobble plate style found in dodge vehicles.

O/P- would really help to know year/engine and those high and low side pressures...

Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
hitmand850

04 ram 1500 and I don't have the gauges anymore they were borrowed as I'm not a mechanic, I just li me to try n fix things myself be wise these shops here are ridiculous. Ex. They told me it would cost $125 to change my oil pressure sensor which was $15 at autozone took me all of 30 mi s to do that and an oil change

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
BigSloth
Professional

AC is one of those things that's difficult to diagnose without either actually seeing the vehicle or having every piece of info about it.

The sudden nature of it says electronics to me. I'm not sure how to check the evap temp sensor.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
hitmand850

I broke down and took it to a shop today and was told I had a leak at the evaporator Core. I may attempt to change it myself this weekend but I think Im gonna try som a/c leak stop first to see how that holds up bacause summer is approaching AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evap coil leak indicates low charge and potential introduction of contaminants/non condensables(air). Replacing the coil requires removal of the entire hvac box behind the dash------a big job!! plan on the weekend. I STRONGLY recommend not putting any internal leak sealer in the system as it may in the long run F-up the rest of the system. Get everything you think you might need-----including a means to dehydrate the system when you have it put back together-------make absolutely sure that there is in fact a leak in the evap coil. Bad evap coils are a BIG money maker for shops-----just sayin, CYA!

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 05-31-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C problems