3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 Hemi 4x4 transmission, P0430 and tach

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM
korey.bushman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Hemi 4x4 transmission, P0430 and tach

First time posting, and hoping ya'll can help me out!

I bought a 2006 1500 Hemi Sport 4x4 about a month ago with 60,xxx miles. It now has 63,6xx miles. I'm just hoping there isn't anything too serious going on here, but I have 3 issues.

#1 - About a week into owning the truck, the CEL came on. Scanner read P0430 - Converter below efficiency. Replaced four 02 sensors with NTK sensors at about 61,000 miles, cleared code, drove and code returned. Next, replaced all spark plugs with Champion coppers at about 61,500 miles, cleared code, drove and code returned. I've seen the 'non-fouler' trick, but I prefer not to do that unless I have to. Other than replacing the Cat, what's the next step?

#2 - Scanner occassionally has read P0700 - Transmission generic code. Turns out, i'm slipping from 2nd to 3rd around corners. Now, I realized that when i punch it or accelerate aggressively from 2nd to 3rd is when it happens. If I ease around the corner, no tranny slippage. Also, I've had 2 occassions where I was driving 55+ mph on the highway and it slipped when I tried to accelerate. When I say 'slippage', it seems as though it is going into neutral, then it jerks/catches into gear. Truck is currently at the transmission shop. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

#3 - Last weekend, at about 63,300 miles, a fishing buddy was parking my truck/trailer at the boat ramp after launching boat. Then, he comes running down the ramp and yelling 'you gotta come see this'. Well, he successfully stuck my truck/trailer at about a 30 degree angle in the ditch. He put it in 4 hi and dug my tires about 2 feet in the sand/mud, while covering my trailer in mud. Well, I got it out by backing it out and driving down the ditch. Now, my tach doesn't work!!! The tach will 'wake-up' if i throttle her, but it reads 0 when I'm sitting at a stop light. Engine seems to be running like normal. Any idea on how I can fix the tach?

Could all/some of these be related?

Well, I'm all ears! Thanks for your time!

Last edited by korey.bushman; 05-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
korey.bushman

Transmission shop said it checked out fine. No issues. Doing a tranny flush and filter change. Hopefully that takes care of that.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your connections and wiring for your o2 they can some times get frayed or cut I haven't heard people having problems with that brand but have heard a lot of problems with the bosch. The tranny code I have had along with another one related to pressure solenoid as soon as I get a few things paid for i'm gonna do a pan drop, filters, and new solenoid pack you can find them on Ebay refurbed for $200 or new for $2500 to $300 as far as your tach goes have no idea other than never letting your friend touch your truck again

Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 AM
korey.bushman

Well, turns out the A/T filter separated on one side of the filter. The separation in the seem was allowing the tranny to suck air and caused my tranny to 'slip' on occasion. The shop switched the filter and did a complete flush. Honestly, it is like a different truck. I can't believe that the stupid filter was to blame, but I'm very thankful!

Now for the tach & 02 sensors! yep, my buddy is never allowed in the driver seats again.

Quick Reply: '06 Hemi 4x4 transmission, P0430 and tach