3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram cylinder block drain plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Croghanite
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram cylinder block drain plugs?

I'm doing a complete drain, refilling with water, drain again, repeat, etc.

Does anyone have a good pick of where the drain plugs are? Do y'all remove both plugs when you do a complete drain?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are located on each side of the block at the base of the cylinders. They are a 1/4" pipe fitting. I pulled mine a long time ago and replaced them with petcocks for future drains, which I'm doing this year---actually.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Croghanite
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found them. One is very accesible and the other one is hiding behind the starter. Is that right?

The Bolt has a circle on engraved on the head. I noticed the thread sealant. I really don't want to take the starter out to get to the drain on the driver side!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one behind the starter I really can't be sure for you because I have a manual tranny and the starter mount may be a little different. Use a 12 pt sae socket to get on top of the fitting with a ratchet then no fear of stripping it out. Use a good thread sealant when you replace and Do Not overtighten, snug is usually great

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram cylinder block drain plugs?