3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bumper tech or bad engineering design to avoid rust out

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devans02
You don't generally find chrome bumpers rusting out like you do the painted ones, it does happen but not too often. The problem with the painted ones is all it takes is a scratch in the paint and it's all over with.
I have a chrome bumper and it is rusting out from the inside. The road salt is a killer and cleaning out all the places where salt accumulates only slows it down. I have been attending the bottom seam on the tail gate with POR-15. The wheel liner seem to help as I do not have the rust bubbles over the rear wheels. I will have replace the bumper some time in the future and will look to coat the inside.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I have a chrome bumper and it is rusting out from the inside. The road salt is a killer and cleaning out all the places where salt accumulates only slows it down. I have been attending the bottom seam on the tail gate with POR-15. The wheel liner seem to help as I do not have the rust bubbles over the rear wheels. I will have replace the bumper some time in the future and will look to coat the inside.
I was happy with the quality of the bumper from ebay. Here is the same seller with a chrome version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130924657242

A friend uses roof cement on the back of his... seems messy, but probably works well.

Quick Reply: bumper tech or bad engineering design to avoid rust out