3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed plugs after going bad, drives great, turned on AC, plugs go bad again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
The only way I see to change the gap by over tightening them, is if they are hitting the top of the piston, and then you really have a problem. If you know another way, please let us know how it occurs

When you over tighten a spark plug you can change the gap by one (or multiple of the following:

• Damage Ceramic/Porcelain Cap thus causing it to fall inwards which causes the electrode to touch the ground electrode.
  • Distort the spark plug body which can cause the ground electrode to bend in some cases.
  • Cause the ground electrode to touch a piston (if it is at TDC) some motors don't get close enough and some do.
There are some other ways you can close the gap on plugs, but those are usually the result of another catastrophic failure, so it doesn't really apply here.

I've also seen a bunch of people "tap" the ground electrode as they are inserting it, which effectively closes the gap... so that is also possible...

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not always so easy NOT to accidentally tap the ground on the head. I've done that on all the plugs on my truck and my dads truck. Didn't do it on the 76 though, simply because the way the plugs were oriented.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
It's not always so easy NOT to accidentally tap the ground on the head. I've done that on all the plugs on my truck and my dads truck. Didn't do it on the 76 though, simply because the way the plugs were oriented.
Very true... I know I've done it... especially b/c of how the 5.7L Hemi's plugs are oriented.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Izero
Very true... I know I've done it... especially b/c of how the 5.7L Hemi's plugs are oriented.
I honestly don't think it affects it quite as badly as some might think.
I've pulled plugs out of my truck that have been "tapped" and their gap was fine. The big issue with letting the plugs "tap", imo, is the higher probability for dirt and crap to get stuck to the nose of the plug.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Izero
Champion

Yeah, you never know though... I've seen all kinds of fun stuff happen after people change their own spark plugs... always gives me a good laugh...

Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I normally tighten my plugs until I hear crack crack and all the porcelain shipping material falls off!

/s

Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Prismatic
I normally tighten my plugs until I hear crack crack and all the porcelain shipping material falls off!

/s

Sorry, had to.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Supposedly you can torque the body of the plug just enough to change the gap and make it do funny things. Dunno, never had an issue.

Snug -> another 1/4-1/2 turn of the ratchet works for me.

In over 45 years of dealing with spark plugs, I've never heard or seen this happen. The torque you would have to apply to the body of a plug would have to be astronomical, to change the gap, and if dealing with aluminum heads, you would strip the hole long before you would change the gap. As far as what Izero said about the ceramics falling in, I cant see how breaking the ceramics would ever change the gap. Yes, dropping the plug or beating an electrode could change it, but just a tap, I doubt it. Electrodes don't move very easily, and I like you have tapped them against the head before and actually checked them for movement, and have never found any, through just a casual bump

Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
In over 45 years of dealing with spark plugs, I've never heard or seen this happen. The torque you would have to apply to the body of a plug would have to be astronomical, to change the gap, and if dealing with aluminum heads, you would strip the hole long before you would change the gap. As far as what Izero said about the ceramics falling in, I cant see how breaking the ceramics would ever change the gap. Yes, dropping the plug or beating an electrode could change it, but just a tap, I doubt it. Electrodes don't move very easily, and I like you have tapped them against the head before and actually checked them for movement, and have never found any, through just a casual bump

No disrespect but, please watch that video and tell me again what your 45 years of experience tells you... I've personally seen the electrode fall in and meet the ground electrode and you would never know it until you pulled it out... some people don't realize it until they try re-gapping the plug and realize that they can't gap it because the electrode keeps falling.

I've also personally seen each and every issue I mentioned...

Last edited by Izero; 06-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Smile

Originally Posted by Izero
Spark Plug Torque Specifications - What can happen if you over tighten or under tighten a Spark Plug - YouTube

No disrespect but, please watch that video and tell me again what your 45 years of experience tells you... I've personally seen the electrode fall in and meet the ground electrode and you would never know it until you pulled it out... some people don't realize it until they try re-gapping the plug and realize that they can't gap it because the electrode keeps falling.

I've also personally seen each and every issue I mentioned...

No disrespect taken. I didn't say something couldn't happen, just that I had never seen or heard of it. Maybe it's because I never overtighten plugs, just snug them up and leave them. I cant imagine how tight you'd have to turn a plug to damage it like the one in the video. I was not saying that you were lying, just had never seen this before

Quick Reply: Changed plugs after going bad, drives great, turned on AC, plugs go bad again?