3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end feels like its light and unstable

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mopar is generally the only one that sells Mopar, aside from Dodge Dealerships... but sometimes there is an authorized dealer of mopar parts around... if you call up mopar they can usually point you to a local "distributor"...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annnd that distributor is usually a dealership. lol

Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Annnd that distributor is usually a dealership. lol

Usually, but sometimes you get lucky and find a performance shop or something that is an authorized dealer...

I know I've gotten lucky once or twice...

Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izero
My truck has the same kind of "pull" you describe and it's due to the "crown" on the road... I've just learned to live with it for now...

You can try to have them bring the caster in to 3.0 degrees on both sides... and try to match the camber a little closer to .3 degrees... but that's really your call there.

I would be suspect of the reman. steering rack, they are notorious for giving issues even when they are just installed...
There's not that much adjustment in the factory cams after a lift. Besides, you want at least a .30 degree negative split(left lower than right) because it compensates for road crown. They have a little too much worked into it right now, but getting both sides equal would cause more problems. And you want the camber as close to 0.0 as possible on a truck, which will minimize pull and steering wander.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by BigSloth
There's not that much adjustment in the factory cams after a lift. Besides, you want at least a .30 degree negative split(left lower than right) because it compensates for road crown. They have a little too much worked into it right now, but getting both sides equal would cause more problems. And you want the camber as close to 0.0 as possible on a truck, which will minimize pull and steering wander.

He has that degree split already and it is not doing too well for him... only other thing I can think of, is that he has a toe in/out problem... it's hard to tell without seeing the truck first hand and taking it through a nice level parking lot to see if it is pulling.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM
BigSloth
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
He has that degree split already and it is not doing too well for him... only other thing I can think of, is that he has a toe in/out problem... it's hard to tell without seeing the truck first hand and taking it through a nice level parking lot to see if it is pulling.
No, he's got a .6 degree split, which can cause a pull. Especially if the area he drives in doesnt have very steep road crown. getting it down to a .3 split would probably make a noticeable change, I was just saying you dont want to equalize the caster, that can cause wandering.

If, and thats a big if, thats a decent shop and that alignment printout is true and not BS'd, his toe is fine. At a .03 and .08, its well within specs. Toe is not a pull angle, when you move forward, toe equalizes itself.

I'm still thinking the steering rack is bad. I've had to redo at least 6 installations because the service writers dont listen to me when i tell them the reman units dont hold up.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Zoomin0074
Amateur

I contacted Rancho to see if they had any recommendations for alignment settings and they basically said they dont have any.

From Rancho
"Thank you for contacting Rancho Suspension. We just use the factory specs on this truck since we are not physically changing any of that."

For further questions or assistance, please contact technical assistance at 734-384-7804 M - F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST.

Rancho Team Member,

Rob

Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Izero
Champion

That's just a fancy way of them telling you they have no effin' clue... lol

Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 PM
BigSloth
Professional

pretty much yeah lol.

At this point, I'd really need to drive the truck to figure it out. All the customer description in the world sometimes isnt enough.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by BigSloth
pretty much yeah lol.

At this point, I'd really need to drive the truck to figure it out. All the customer description in the world sometimes isnt enough.

Completely agree with you. There are a million and a half things at play with suspension, everything from worn components to incorrect alignment, right through to uneven weight load inside the cabin/bed can cause problems.

Either way I hope this gets sorted out.

Quick Reply: Front end feels like its light and unstable