3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 ram 1500 hemi to cummins swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a TON of conversions in 1500's. Maybe not a ton, but there are a fair number.

Which engine? VP or CR? What transmission?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 AM
brandt.reuss

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
There's been a TON of conversions in 1500's. Maybe not a ton, but there are a fair number.

Which engine? VP or CR? What transmission?
Its gonna most likely be a 03-05 24v 5.9L CR and since I'm getting the engine and donor truck from either an auto salvage auction or police impound auction I was just going the transmission that was in the donor truck. Do you have any links to someone who has done this or something similar so I can sorta get a blueprint or outline on what exactly all this entails??

Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
4.7Ram
Rookie

yes coil overs would work as well and now adays you can do conversions for anything, BUT sometimes there not all worth doing with the amount of time, work and hassle you might have to deal with....IMO i wouldnt even bother, but best of luck man, keep us updated

Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brandt.reuss
actually the only real difference between the 1500 and the 2500 are the suspension components. the 2500's have heavier duty suspension, and the mounts have to be the same or close to the same. My dad has an 04 2500 with a hemi in it, mine is an 04 1500 with a hemi in it. his truck could have been ordered from the factory with the 24v 5.9 CR cummins. which makes me think that, since both frames are the same dimensions (i have crawled under both trucks and measured all the dimensions of both frames... they are the same but the 2500 might be thicker gauge steel) and because you can put the cummins in the 2500, why wont you be able to put it in the 1500? the hemi fully dressed is like 600 pounds i believe (try searching the internet for the weight and you wont get anywhere), i have a 350lb steel front bumper on my 1500 right now, thats about what a cummins weighs... so without the bumper, my suspension can support the engine. I'm not saying that your wrong, im just saying there's not enough information on it to prove your assumption.

The frame have the same dimensions but internally they are very different.

The 2500 frame has reinforcements inside that you cannot see unless you cut it along it's center-line and look in there.

This along with a heavy duty suspension allow for a higher GVWR and a heavy diesel engine to be put in there.

Sure this project is completely possible but I can almost promise that there will be some handling problems with all of that extra weight over the front axles.

Also going with independent suspension in the front will be nice, but you may end up breaking those OEM axles quite frequently due to the VERY significant increase in Torque, so you should consider at the very least upgrading the axles.

You will also need to change the entire drivetrain.... Transmission, Driveshaft, Rear Diff.....

You also need every single bit of wiring, and you should just double check that the truck didn't get a 24VDC conversion as some people end up doing that for whatever reason.

Overall I think it's a cool project, but personally I'd save my pennies and just buy a nice 2500 with a Cummins 5.9 and call it a day....

Oh and don't forget the PCM and you will need the programmed keys to match it as well.... GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Last edited by Izero; 07-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 04 ram 1500 hemi to cummins swap