3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Frank Lucero
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems

Ok I need some really good help with my 04 ram 1500 4.7 truck! I am having electrical problems that's causing my lights to dim when I roll down my windows only the master switch on the drivers door works to roll down the windows! I've done the big three upgrade and upgraded my alternator checked the internal workings of my fuse box and no damage inside there! I'm at a loss where else can I look what else could be my problem I would really appreciate any thoughts!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i have heard of people having problems with weak batteries. i would definitely take off and clean the posts.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break in the positive window switch wire in the boot on driver door (by hinges)

My 02 had a break there, there is a connector in the boot, the wire broke right at the crimp.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Frank Lucero
Amateur

Ok I bought a bigger battery and still the same problems! Now I'm going to check the wiring in the door!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Frank Lucero
Amateur

Ok update on my truck I have reset the pcm and now my check engine light turned off and so far is staying off! I've tried everything to get that light off and nothing now by reseting the pcm I have solved one of my problems now I just have to work on my windows master switch!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Owensue
Veteran

If the issue causing the service engine still exists, it will return.

Check the connector I mentioned, it was where I found my problem with the window switches.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Frank Lucero
Amateur

Originally Posted by Owensue
If the issue causing the service engine still exists, it will return.

Check the connector I mentioned, it was where I found my problem with the window switches.
Your talking about the connector between the driver door and the dash the one that plugs into the wiring harness on the door? Also yeah the light did come back on but yet I have had new cats put on a new exhaust and all 4 oxygen sensors replaced but it keeps saying o2 sensor bank 2 is out! I've replaced more times than I Carr to count what could be the issue?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Owensue
Veteran

There is a connector right in the boot between the door and chassis.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Frank Lucero
Your talking about the connector between the driver door and the dash the one that plugs into the wiring harness on the door? Also yeah the light did come back on but yet I have had new cats put on a new exhaust and all 4 oxygen sensors replaced but it keeps saying o2 sensor bank 2 is out! I've replaced more times than I Carr to count what could be the issue?
When you replaced the cat`s, were the new ones OEM cat`s, OEM sensors...?
How long have you been running it with the new cat`s before seeing CEL coming on...?
Explain your "NEW" exhaust system... what exactly did you replace... what brand are the the parts

Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM
LVRR
Veteran

When anything electrical starts causing dimming when in use it is usually an indication of high current usage, drawing more current than normal.

I would guess the battery as a prime culprit as mentioned above, check to make sure it isn't weak. I would also consider the motor for the window being as old as it is (bad or worn brushes), the switches themselves. Switches can get a carbon buildup from making and breaking contact and take a lot of current to bridge the connection. Check any connector in the system for corrosion of the pins (high current to get by the corrosion). Check the free movement of the windows for dragging in the tracks, gears and bearings. Channels may need some greasing.

I am pretty sure all vehicles nowadays have the voltage regulators built in, but if it has a separate unit you may consider that also.

Just reread your post. You mentioned the master control is the only one working. You will have to go down the chain and check each unit for problems. A high resistance short in any swich on the positive side could also cause your problem. All the wiring comes from and to the master so somewhere along the line could be a problem. Try disconnecting each door in sequence and see if there is any difference.

Last edited by LVRR; 07-23-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: last line

Quick Reply: Electrical problems