3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major loss of power in my HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 PM
CodeBlox
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major loss of power in my HEMI

About a year ago I had an incident caused by a mechanic leaving my transmission filter loose. The mechanics couldn't figure out the issue (Which was fixed ultimately by the dealer). In troubleshooting, one of the steps the shop(dumbass mechanic, not the dealer) did was to reflash my PCM. I think this has caused me to lose a ton of horsepower in my truck. If that's the case, would the only fix be to buy a tuner to fix it?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A tuner won't fix your problem it seems. While it will add some horses it won't reflash the PCM again. You'd have to go to a dealer it seems and ask them to reflash the PCM to the stock tune from the factory first.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM
CodeBlox
Professional

Darn... Why would I need to have it reflashed first? O_o It is also unknown to me if the previous owner had a custom tune that was wiped when it happened so that could explain this problem.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodeBlox
Darn... Why would I need to have it reflashed first? O_o It is also unknown to me if the previous owner had a custom tune that was wiped when it happened so that could explain this problem.

First thing, you have at least a factory tune in your truck or it wouldn't run. I suspect that your truck had something other than a factory tune when it was reflashed, and now with the factory tune it feels like a big dog. More than likely a tuner will get you back near where you were. Never take your vehicle to a dealer with anything other than the factory tune in it. As may have happened to you, if they reflash it, you will lose the tune you had

Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

That's what I'm thinking but... I can't go and ask the previous owner if this is the case because it was my dad who is now deceased. I will find out tomorrow if this is the case as my DiabloSport should be arriving tomorrow sometime.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodeBlox
That's what I'm thinking but... I can't go and ask the previous owner if this is the case because it was my dad who is now deceased. I will find out tomorrow if this is the case as my DiabloSport should be arriving tomorrow sometime.

Sorry to hear about your dad. What mods do you have?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

None at all. I'm afraid to do anything (Other than what it takes to fix this issue) lol. Thought about some things but I think I'm gonna get something else to learn on. I'm a newb.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
superwoody

Did the tuner fix your problem?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

It's definitely an improvement. Not exactly where it was before (Maybe halfway there)... I believe that if I messed with more of the settings I could probably get close to where I was.

Quick Reply: Major loss of power in my HEMI