3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Trailer brake connection not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM
browntown3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Trailer brake connection not working.

Guys, i have a 2006 dodge 1500 megacab, my truck has the factory plug to hook up a trailer brake controller, however i only have 4 wires going into my 7 way plug at the back of the truck....so no brakes. My question is why would there be a factory hook up with the 4wire connection for a trailer brake controller but with only 4 wires being used? Is there somethign im missing maybe the other 3 wires are in the wiring harness not pulled out yet ???, ive searched all over for diagrams and things to fiture this out and am coming up with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like one of two things happened:

1) Your truck did not come with the towing package from the factory

2) Someone hacked up the harness because they were having a problem of some sort.

Hard to tell what's going on there, and it won't be very fun to run new wiring.

If your truck did not come with the towing package there will be a some parts that you will have to buy.

Here are some links to help:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-32028.html

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Mop...6319C1009.aspx

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
browntown3

Izero, thank you for those links, this one http://www.etrailer.com/question-32028.html sounds like the exact situation im in. The only thing i havent been able to locate that wiring harness to tap into on my truck. the picture on etrailer doesnt really show a good description where its located on the truck.
Im pretty sure ive got the factory plug but probably just the 4 wire ran to the back so looks like i will just need to ground the 7pin and run a blue wire for the brake output back to the 7pin as well and that seems like it should work, i guess if all else fails i can do like they say run the wire from the brake controller's blue wire to the back instead of splicing into that wiring harness?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup you're on the right track. glad I could help.

Take pictures and post them up... always good to help others that might have the same or a similar problem..

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
browntown3

Will do! I forgot to mention i found out the brake controller wasnt working after the camper and truck were loaded fixing to pull out on a weekend trip DOH! At least i had my Sequoia already hooked up with a brake controller also so we managed to salvage our trip

Quick Reply: Factory Trailer brake connection not working.