3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Comp 260 Cam 2003 Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp 260 Cam 2003 Hemi?

Hi guys, just a quick couple questions for you all with some cam knowledge.

I have a 2003 ram laramie 2wd quad cab with a 5.7l hemi that has been rebuilt after detonating itself when it dropped a valve. From what the shop had told me when they rebuilt it, it had received a new block, all new pistons and rods, and "their" upgraded valve train (including springs). Now that the engine is off its warranty and has proven itself not to blow up again (about 15000 km on it), I want to boost the power a little with an upgraded cam. Currently I have a superchips tuner, CAI, aeroturbine exhaust, and torque management delete (power wire or whatever?) done to it. The goal with the cam upgrade is I want to beat my friends f150 ecoboost from a dead stop, he talks it up so much and I want to shut him up!

Now, questions away. Being that I have a 2003, is the 260 the only "user friendly" option for a cam for this year of truck? Is it the cam that I should be after or is there something else out there? My intent is to run the truck with the superchips canned tune (I am told this is possible with the 260), would I see any real gains going to a custom tune? The plan is to get 6.1 springs and push rods to go along with it, do I need anything else? All install will be at the shop that rebuilt my engine.

I guess I am just looking for some guidance as to what cam would suit my needs and if the 260 is what I should be looking at, if not what. Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of the truck, cause we all like pics!

Attached Thumbnails Comp 260 Cam 2003 Hemi?-540724_10153101943085624_55056714_n.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 260 is good, I think I've read the Sidewinder (if I remember right) will also work. Nice 03, do you have the full body kit?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM
GreenEH
Professional

I do have the full body kit. I believe it's the same one as on the rumble bees. Thanks for the compliment HemiLonestar, now just sell me your hood!

I have also read up on the sidewinder but I am having a hard time finding where to purchase one. Does anyone have a 260 cam that can vouch for the power increase? Will I be able to beat a 4x4 ecoboost after the install? This is a must haha.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will get a noticeable power increase, but your limiting factor is the 03 computer (sucks for us). If you combine the cam with 4.56 gears and a good converter you have a much better chance (stacking the deck). Ported heads are a plus, dunno if the PCM can handle BV heads though. How stock is your buddy's ford?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 PM
TRO14
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenEH
I do have the full body kit. I believe it's the same one as on the rumble bees. Thanks for the compliment HemiLonestar, now just sell me your hood!

I have also read up on the sidewinder but I am having a hard time finding where to purchase one. Does anyone have a 260 cam that can vouch for the power increase? Will I be able to beat a 4x4 ecoboost after the install? This is a must haha.
Sidewinder will run in canned super chips tune. But it runs much better on a custom tune.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Correct. Only cams of choice would be 6.1, 260 and sidewinder

Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM
oldmanram03

Originally Posted by GreenEH
Hi guys, just a quick couple questions for you all with some cam knowledge.

I have a 2003 ram laramie 2wd quad cab with a 5.7l hemi that has been rebuilt after detonating itself when it dropped a valve. From what the shop had told me when they rebuilt it, it had received a new block, all new pistons and rods, and "their" upgraded valve train (including springs). Now that the engine is off its warranty and has proven itself not to blow up again (about 15000 km on it), I want to boost the power a little with an upgraded cam. Currently I have a superchips tuner, CAI, aeroturbine exhaust, and torque management delete (power wire or whatever?) done to it. The goal with the cam upgrade is I want to beat my friends f150 ecoboost from a dead stop, he talks it up so much and I want to shut him up!

Now, questions away. Being that I have a 2003, is the 260 the only "user friendly" option for a cam for this year of truck? Is it the cam that I should be after or is there something else out there? My intent is to run the truck with the superchips canned tune (I am told this is possible with the 260), would I see any real gains going to a custom tune? The plan is to get 6.1 springs and push rods to go along with it, do I need anything else? All install will be at the shop that rebuilt my engine.

I guess I am just looking for some guidance as to what cam would suit my needs and if the 260 is what I should be looking at, if not what. Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of the truck, cause we all like pics!
Hi,
I was wondering if you ever put the comp 260 in your truck ?
How did it work ? PCM ok ?
thanks

Old 08-31-2017, 03:11 AM
GreenEH
Professional

Originally Posted by oldmanram03
Hi,
I was wondering if you ever put the comp 260 in your truck ?
How did it work ? PCM ok ?
thanks
Its been awhile but I did install the cam a couple summers ago. It ran okay with the 03 pcm, was lacking on the low end and had trouble idling. I swapped my entire truck to 05 ram hemi electronics shortly after and that ran quite good on the super chips canned tune. I am now supercharged with a Paxton blower and water meth, still running the comp 260 and making 450 whp need more.

In short, the 260 "worked" running the 03 PCM but it wasn't really happy until I swapped to the 05 stuff.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:15 AM
GreenEH
Professional

How could I forget pics...

Quick Reply: Comp 260 Cam 2003 Hemi?