3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission is slipping... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
CodeBlox
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is slipping... What to do?

I believe my transmission is slipping and falling out of gear on the highway. This is a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 HEMI.

What could be the issue? What should I do? I know next to nothing about transmissions.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weren't you having issues with the PCM a while back with a possible tuner problem? I'd be wondering if the TCM or PCM is having issues sensing that the trans. needs to hold gears.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

Thing is, it wasn't known to be a PCM issue. I got the tuner to see if that would square things away. While it has helped, I now know that it was never the source of my troubles... My issue probably stems back to an incident that happened almost two years ago with a mechanic leaving the trans filter loose. I had no way around town so I had to drive the truck (Wasn't known that this was the issue at the time). It was shutting off when stopping too. I drove around for a week low on trans fluid so I believe thats where the issue stems from. Not sure what I should do. I didn't know any better at the time! :P I'm a newb but I looked up what it looks like for a transmission to slip on youtube and found a bunch similar to what my truck is doing, that's why I believe it is slipping. I'm not sure of what the best way to confirm this is.

Last edited by CodeBlox; 07-29-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

check the fluid see if its burnt. It will smell burnt as well. If so the it maybe time for a rebuild. If the fluid is ok. Then like dodge dude said maybe tcm/pcm problem

Quick Reply: Transmission is slipping... What to do?