3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

2002 Dodge transmission options and advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Piles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge transmission options and advice

Hey fellas. I recently purchased a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 5.9, and since it has started to whine when driving. It is only from about 30-60 km/h and only when accelerating, I can coast and here nothing but I even feather the pedal and I can hear it.

So my questions are what could this possibly be? And what are my options. Truck has just over 200,000 kms, and otherwise is in great shape. Checked the tranny fluid and it was real nice on the dipstick. Tommorrow I will be doing a fluid change (recommendations for fluid?) and filter. I know to check for metal filings, and burnt smell but what else?

And if you figure the tranny is going, what years were this same tranny in?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a trans from a 2000-02 Ram 1500 and 2500 with the 5.9 V8.

You MUST use ATF+4, you might also maybe look into adjusting the bands, however, sometimes these trannys can kill themselves through a band adjustment, so you'd want to do that at your own risk.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off make 100% certain its your transmission making noise before considering options.
A/C compressor clutch bearing, alternator, power steering pump can cause similar noises. Just a suggestion and if your not comfortable with it don't do it. Go onto a back road. Remove serpentine belt and drive to see if noise is still there. If noise still present trans is it. If not one of the accessories is it. You should be able to drive for about 30 to 45 seconds before temp gauge starts rising so keep an eye on your temp gauge. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR MOTOR! I've done this chasing the same type of noise your having.
Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Piles

Originally Posted by big guy
First off make 100% certain its your transmission making noise before considering options.
A/C compressor clutch bearing, alternator, power steering pump can cause similar noises. Just a suggestion and if your not comfortable with it don't do it. Go onto a back road. Remove serpentine belt and drive to see if noise is still there. If noise still present trans is it. If not one of the accessories is it. You should be able to drive for about 30 to 45 seconds before temp gauge starts rising so keep an eye on your temp gauge. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR MOTOR! I've done this chasing the same type of noise your having.
Good Luck.
Well I don't have the noise any time other than I think 3rd (never counted my shifts but I think this is it) not in park, reverse, or anything else. So I don't think its an accessory because it doesn't seem rpm based other than that one gear.

You can get a trans from a 2000-02 Ram 1500 and 2500 with the 5.9 V8.

You MUST use ATF+4, you might also maybe look into adjusting the bands, however, sometimes these trannys can kill themselves through a band adjustment, so you'd want to do that at your own risk.
Would a band adjustment help? I always thought adjusting the bands was for the clunk you get when shifting? It shifts great right now. If I use atf+4 can I put in an additive such as Lucas? Or am I better off just doing a fluid and filter change?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Piles
Well I don't have the noise any time other than I think 3rd (never counted my shifts but I think this is it) not in park, reverse, or anything else. So I don't think its an accessory because it doesn't seem rpm based other than that one gear.

Would a band adjustment help? I always thought adjusting the bands was for the clunk you get when shifting? It shifts great right now. If I use atf+4 can I put in an additive such as Lucas? Or am I better off just doing a fluid and filter change?

Thanks a bunch guys.
DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES. IT WILL KILL YOUR TRANSMISSION IN SHORT ORDER.
Now that that is over with. lol
The bands wear down over time and don't hold quite as well, sometimes causing sloppy shifting. So by tightening them (per the Factory Service Manual) you can sometimes alleviate shifting problems and firm the trans up. I know it helped mine.
However, on the other side of this, there have been a few guys in the 2nd gen Ram section that have done that, and about 3k mi later, needed a new trans. So it goes both ways depending on the actual condition of your transmission.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Piles

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES. IT WILL KILL YOUR TRANSMISSION IN SHORT ORDER.
Now that that is over with. lol
The bands wear down over time and don't hold quite as well, sometimes causing sloppy shifting. So by tightening them (per the Factory Service Manual) you can sometimes alleviate shifting problems and firm the trans up. I know it helped mine.
However, on the other side of this, there have been a few guys in the 2nd gen Ram section that have done that, and about 3k mi later, needed a new trans. So it goes both ways depending on the actual condition of your transmission.
Well it shifts fine right now. Just a bit of whining to it. I am gonna check her out this weekend to see for sure if it is tranny, and do a fluid and filter change.

Why no additives? I am new to these dodges, but I know in chevs the Lucas was almost a miracle cure for trannies at times. Also in my old Jeep when I sent it in for a band adjustment (never had a torque wrench with low enough values) they added in some other stuff too.

Is there something that is more sensitive on these trannies? Or is this your opinion on trannies in general?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
jewlzjenkins75
Default Clunk from Park to reverse

Hi all, I have a 1998 ram 1500 4x4 sport that has recently developed a nasty clunk when I take it from Park to Reverse...any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Well it shifts fine right now. Just a bit of whining to it. I am gonna check her out this weekend to see for sure if it is tranny, and do a fluid and filter change.

Why no additives? I am new to these dodges, but I know in chevs the Lucas was almost a miracle cure for trannies at times. Also in my old Jeep when I sent it in for a band adjustment (never had a torque wrench with low enough values) they added in some other stuff too.

Is there something that is more sensitive on these trannies? Or is this your opinion on trannies in general?
The Dodge transmissons can't take additives. Ask any old hand on these truck forums that have had to deal with a trans. and they will tell you the same thing. It causes bad things to happen. To be honest, I don't remember what it does to them, but I'm thinking it causes excessive sludge build up thereby killing the trans.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Piles

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
The Dodge transmissons can't take additives. Ask any old hand on these truck forums that have had to deal with a trans. and they will tell you the same thing. It causes bad things to happen. To be honest, I don't remember what it does to them, but I'm thinking it causes excessive sludge build up thereby killing the trans.
Yikes, good to know. Sorry if I came off snarky I was genuinely curious about that though.

So some updates for you guys, turns out the speed is around 60-80 km/h where it whines. Like I said as soon as I take my foot out of it it stops, but then starts as soon as I even breathe on the gas pedal.

And today when I went underneath to take a look at things I noticed the driveshaft was loose. Not at the u-joints or by my diff, but at the tailshaft out of the tranny. Like 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch of play. How bad is this and what would I be looking at for repairs.

Also when I was coming home, when I was just idling along really in the residential area it made a loud squawking noise. Not consistent or anything but it happened a good 5 times in about two minutes of driving. I am gonna check out the rear brakes, and bearings this weekend. Anything else I should look for?

Also could I get someone to tell me the transmission that came behind the 5.9, and if there is any ID tags if there were multiple options?

Last edited by Piles; 08-08-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Yikes, good to know. Sorry if I came off snarky I was genuinely curious about that though.

So some updates for you guys, turns out the speed is around 60-80 km/h where it whines. Like I said as soon as I take my foot out of it it stops, but then starts as soon as I even breathe on the gas pedal.

And today when I went underneath to take a look at things I noticed the driveshaft was loose. Not at the u-joints or by my diff, but at the tailshaft out of the tranny. Like 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch of play. How bad is this and what would I be looking at for repairs.

Also when I was coming home, when I was just idling along really in the residential area it made a loud squawking noise. Not consistent or anything but it happened a good 5 times in about two minutes of driving. I am gonna check out the rear brakes, and bearings this weekend. Anything else I should look for?

Also could I get someone to tell me the transmission that came behind the 5.9, and if there is any ID tags if there were multiple options?
THAT, I can help you with.

The 5.9 (360) V8 came only with the 46RE transmission.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge transmission options and advice