3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding LED Strips

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
redram2007
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding LED Strips

I recently bought 2 sets of Oracle SMD LED strips and want to tap them all together, 2 under the dash and 2 under the rear seats. I really want to have these come on with my dome lights/power door locks. I also ordered a few Oracle flush mount switches to have everything uniformed. I really want to add a switch to turn these on whenever but still have them connected to my dome light. Ive read a few threads about installing them but i cant find the answer im looking for. I already have my 3 autometer gauges tapped into my headlight dimmer switch and dont want to overload any circuits. I am planning on using a relay but not sure which posts to go to and what wires to run to the on/off switch. Here's a diagram of the switch and the led strips i have.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/flexstrip.aspx

http://automotivelightstore.com/ebay...ff_diagram.jpg

Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 PM
redram2007
Veteran

Has anyone done this or is this one of those things I should do one or the other?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM
redram2007
Veteran

Does anyone at least know what wire to tap into for them to come on when i unlock my door with the key fob??

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I could have gotten you strips for a lot less than those. Hell, I have tons of scraps on rolls.

As for connection and power, you can connect them to your gauge lights. It will not over power the circuit

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM
redram2007
Veteran

I think I should check with you before buying anything lol. As for connection will it work with my interior lights as I open and close the door? I'm also going to use an oracle switch to power on/off whenever. A tech at aac said to rap into a wire from the dome and use a 1 amp diode to prevent back feeding to the dome. Does that sound right? I know you know your lights and wiring.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a diode so you don't send current back through the interior light circuits if you wire without a relay... Unless the strip is polarity sensitive then they will act as diodes for you, but you still do not want to overload the relay so here is what I would do.

What I would do if I was you is put a relay in the engine bay and run wires like this:

Wire from Positive Battery Terminal to PIN 30 on Relay
Wire from PIN 87 to LED Strips
Wire from Interior Dome Light Switch OR Positive Dome Light Wire to PIN 85
Wire from PIN 86 to Ground (within 12" is best)

(Note: For Safety I would put a Diode on the Wire from Dome Light Wire to PIN 85 in direction TOWARDS the Relay, this will prevent back feed if the relay EVER fails internally.)

That will allow you to turn the LED Strips on whenever the doors are opened, or whenever you turn your interior lights on.

Then if you want to turn them on WITHOUT turning the interior lights on you can absolutely use your Oracle LED Switches & Relay like this INSTEAD of above you should wire it like this image I just drew up for you:

Name:  OracleLEDStripsw-DomeTrigger_zpscf4866c7.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  26.7 KB

This will turn the LED strips on when your Dome light comes on as well as all you to turn them on whenever you want.

You will need the following Items to do this:
  • 1 Oracle Switch
  • 50' RED 16AWG Wire (or 18AWG)
  • 50' BLACK 16AWG Wire (or 18AWG)
  • 1 Double Throw Double Pull (DTDP) 12VDC Relay (radio shack or online)
    • Alternative is to get 2 STSP 12VDC Relays
  • 1 DTDP Relay Harness (will make life much easier but don't need it)
    • Alternative is 2 STSP Relay Harnesses
  • LED Strips
  • Waterproof Spade Connectors
    • 2 Sizes - one for the switch terminals and one for connecting to the harness (you can use solder + heat shrink for the harness)
  • Heat Shrink/Wrap to cover all the connectors
  • Connector Crimp Tool
  • Cutters

I'm assuming you have some mechanical/electrical skill here so if you need any help just let me know and I'd be more than happy to walk you through this install some more.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
redram2007
Veteran

Thanks man, I already picked up some diodes and a relay. Problem is idk which to use, I picked up 2 different types a zener and a rectifier. The zener is 12v 21ma and the other is 400v 1amp. Which should I use?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Izero
Champion

Well if you follow my diagram you shouldn't need a diode b/c everything is protected by the relay, so you shouldn't ever get current flowing backwards.

I can't say much about those b/c I'm not sure what the current draw is on the LED strips...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
redram2007
Veteran

Gotcha, I was hoping you would chime in. Again thanks for the help.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Izero
Champion

No problem.

I forgot to tell you to put a Fuse on the power line.. within 12" of the battery.

Don't forget the fuse.

Quick Reply: Adding LED Strips