3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

paint blistering over rear wheel wells on a 2005 ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
basilicatojr.steve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint blistering over rear wheel wells on a 2005 ram

Hi,

Over the past year I've had problems with blisters popping up in the paint on my rear wheel wells. I have noticed rust in the blisters and have sanded down to clean metal and then filled with glazing putty and then primed and painted. Being a painter for almost thirty years I thought this would not be a big issue. I noticed after several weeks the blisters reappeared in the same place. I then noticed a pin head size blister on the other side which in a couple of days turned into five. So I now have body work started on both sides of my truck bed which I don't like because everything else about the truck is in mint condition. I have noticed on other 05 rams I seen have the same issue but usually much worse. Has anyone heard of defects in the metal and or paint applied at the factory. I have a feeling I'll have to do some fiberglass work if this continues.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Look at the INSIDE of the panels. Chances are, your rust isn't starting on the outer surface, it is making its way thru the metal.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the many quirks of the 3rd gen dodge lol

Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup
Mine too! Its happening from the inside out. The best thing is to cut the panels out around the wheel wells, weld new panels in, and seal and finish

Its not uncommon, just happens, still none the less, sucks

Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A painter for over 30 years? House painter or car painter? If you know anything about auto body, you know rust almost always comes from behind. There is NO topical solution, you can cover it with fender flares, or you can cut it out like cancer, and patch with new metal, filler, and paint.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Xler8er
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take out your rear tail light and grab a flash light and look up in there.You will see 1st hand what your dealin with.I would pick a box like from some local junk yard that gets parts from the south.
http://www.southern-truck.com/
I feel your pain bud.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xler8er
Take out your rear tail light and grab a flash light and look up in there.You will see 1st hand what your dealin with.I would pick a box like from some local junk yard that gets parts from the south.
http://www.southern-truck.com/
I feel your pain bud.
That would be my choice as the best option too!

Quick Reply: paint blistering over rear wheel wells on a 2005 ram