3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

geat ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Veritasaequita
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default geat ratio?

Hello,
I have a 02 Ram 1500 slt long bed with the 5.9L that i picked up about one year ago. My main question is if anyone knows the gear ratio and type/name/model of the rear end that came with the truck. long story short, when i first bought it i noticed it was making a growling noise in the rear end, it was broken c-clips that i had replaced. Last week i was driving down a local hwy and the rear end locked up and me and the truck went sliding sideways at 50 mph for a pretty good ways. drive shaft broke lose and was flying all around, it actually broke the pinion in half to free itself (wow). I've opened it up this week and some pretty serious damage was done in there. I've been trying to locate a new rear end this time and cant find one at a salvage place anywhere near me. so i guess my other questions are about options. If i do wind up swapping the rear end how many can use/fit. what year rams can it come from, what models, are the other vehicles i could pull one from that would be the same and bolt back in place? Is there an option of replacing the ring gear assembly "chunk" with something better that doesn't have those rinky dink clips on it and if so what might my options be? lol, long shot but does anyone have a rear end that would work and is looking for cash, cash/trade or anything at all. This is the first time i've ever been down to one vehicle and i've got a wife and infant son so its kinda scary not having wheels. sorry for the long post guys but i just wanted to give all info and try to get all options so i can get back on the road.

thanks, Robert

Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it had the factory LSD and C clips I'm going to assume it was the 3.92 rear end

You can fit a 2500 axle in there if necessary

Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a Chrysler 9.25 rear end with likely a 3.55 gear ratio. Possible a Limited Slip Differential as well.

You can contact DodgeCares on DF here and PM him your VIN and he can get you a build sheet for your truck.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by Veritasaequita
Hello,
I have a 02 Ram 1500 slt long bed with the 5.9L that i picked up about one year ago. My main question is if anyone knows the gear ratio and type/name/model of the rear end that came with the truck. long story short, when i first bought it i noticed it was making a growling noise in the rear end, it was broken c-clips that i had replaced. Last week i was driving down a local hwy and the rear end locked up and me and the truck went sliding sideways at 50 mph for a pretty good ways. drive shaft broke lose and was flying all around, it actually broke the pinion in half to free itself (wow). I've opened it up this week and some pretty serious damage was done in there. I've been trying to locate a new rear end this time and cant find one at a salvage place anywhere near me. so i guess my other questions are about options. If i do wind up swapping the rear end how many can use/fit. what year rams can it come from, what models, are the other vehicles i could pull one from that would be the same and bolt back in place? Is there an option of replacing the ring gear assembly "chunk" with something better that doesn't have those rinky dink clips on it and if so what might my options be? lol, long shot but does anyone have a rear end that would work and is looking for cash, cash/trade or anything at all. This is the first time i've ever been down to one vehicle and i've got a wife and infant son so its kinda scary not having wheels. sorry for the long post guys but i just wanted to give all info and try to get all options so i can get back on the road.

thanks, Robert

Jack up the truck and spin the tires one rotation, and count the driveshaft revolutions. If driveshaft spins nearly 4 full revolutions then it's probably 3.92, if only 3.5 revolutions probably 3.55 and so on and so on. It will give you a good idea as to where you are as far as the ratio

Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Dubl0Vert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good time to swap in a 3/4 ton rear with 3.90s!! Just get a matching front too!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

3/4 ton rigs didn't have 3.92s. They had 3.73's or 4.10's.

Quick Reply: geat ratio?