3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown 5.7 need help as what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
dapozer1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown 5.7 need help as what to do.(UPDATE, more fun)

New guy here been lurking a lot but now I am in the middle of someplace I don't want to be. The truck is a 2004 cc sb 4x4 auto with 77000 miles that presented a code p0307. I did the easy checks and switches (coil,wire,fuel inj) and could not get it to change. Took it to dodge and they removed the head to find that Cyl 7 had a came apart, also cyl 3 had issues as well. I went and looked at it and the cyl walls were all gauged up as well as damage on the cyl head. Dodge want to put new hemi in it at a cost of $8500 out the door.(this includes what I already owe them for the exploratory surgery) What are other options for this? I did get a used car warrenty for it but they are trying everything in the book to deny the claim. I am still making payments on the truck and owe around 9k. thoughts?

A few other questions:
-can the hemi be rebuilt?
-will the bigger hemi fit in with limited work?
-could I make the money to pay it off by parting it out myself?
-any issues with trying to put new motor in myself, have done motor swaps in jeeps before?

Thanks
Shawn

Last edited by dapozer1; 09-06-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine rebuilt this summer but the block was usable. You should be able to get a rebuilt engine installed for $4-5k. Used HEMIs are not very cheap but if you are going to do the engine swap yourself then might as well go used.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Did your after market warranty include power train?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Good grief 8k?! You could probably pick up a 6.4L for that amount of cash. I have read somewhere before that HEMI's are not rebuildable but then again I have also seen where they have been rebuilt as gcburkett says above. If I were you I would pay the stealership what you owe then shop around for a used HEMI (if that's the route you are going) and then just find a mechanic shop that will put it in for a reasonable amount. There's a craigslist ad I always see here in Houston about rebuilding motors maybe it might interest you. I only called once to see if they could port/polish heads but they said no so I am not sure how much they charge for rebuilds, etc. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4035200444.html
And here's an ad that just popped up a few days ago for a HEMI motor out of a 2012 with "only 6k" miles on it. Once again I have never contacted this person I am just giving it to you for reference. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4035200444.html

Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM
dapozer1

Thanks for the links and some ideas. Yes the warranty includes power train but they are trying to loophole this thing to death. Still trying t work it thru the dealer but looking for another way to go about this once a decision is made. Might do some calling around and see what all can be done.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

The only problem with putting the rebuilt engine yourself is sometimes that want a certified mechanic to perform the install for the warrantee. Sounds like you will probably have to pay the core charge if your block and heads are both bad. I good dealership would work with you on using a third parting rebuilt but their labor charges will usually be the highest.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Rkymtnh
Professional

I just went thru the same thing. Buying a Re-man Hemi is not cheap. My total out the door price was , $4736.
The Engine came from Marshall Engines. http://www.marshallengines.com/
It came with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty when installed by a licensed garage. The difference between my
old 5.7 Hemi W/138,200 miles on it and a Re-man one is night and day.
Good luck on whichever route you go.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

This is why you want to keep receipts if you don't get your oil changed at the dealership all the time. That should be the only reason that they can deny it is lack of maintenance.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 PM
dapozer1

This is turning into a huge mess and frustration. They are claiming the cylinders detonated causing them to fail and break off pieces of the piston causing pitting and some valve damage in the head along with scaring. Protective (the warranty company) says that is not covered by the policy. they also say that the piston is not a internally lubricated part. WHAT???? They can give not reason how they came up with the detonation tagline besides saying the edge of the piston broke off and that is what it looks like. The only code on the compute was a p0307. I am going to take pics on Monday to see if any heating was involved as they say is the culprut, truck never heated above 210. As far a service records I have them all and I have almost all my fuel receipts as well only 87 (Colorado does not have 89)

Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We have seen pics before of engines with the top landing of the piston chipping due to detonation due to poor fuel and low octane (87) being used. Not the first time we've heard this.

Quick Reply: Blown 5.7 need help as what to do.