3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is it possible to replace lower control arm bushings w/o removal ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 PM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to replace lower control arm bushings w/o removal ??

is it possible to put the truck on jack stands, then use a jack and take some load ( weight ) off the lower control arm, enough to where the lower control arm should hang once the bolts are removed and then just torch out the bushings and then put the new ones in ??

sounds stupid I know but thinking outside the box here, I just replaced everything thinking I fixed a clunking noise and never considered the LCA bushings.......I just hate the thought of removing everything again.

Attached Thumbnails is it possible to replace lower control arm bushings w/o removal ??-th_picture2014_zps26173d28.jpg  

Last edited by rentprop1; 09-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the bushings press out without having to remove the complete LCA assembly, you have to remove a few things but it shouldn't be awful as far as removing things, getting the bushings out is a bit of a pita, but with the rental tool kit and a little patience it can be done.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
rentprop1
Rookie

what are you considering a few things in your statement "without having to remove the complete LCA assembly "

shock, spring, end links, lower ball joint...I'm confused

I was hoping / thinking the LCA could stay attached and just tipped down and away enough to torch out the bushing ??? just like on a smaller4 cyl car

Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM
rought
Professional

I highly doubt you can replace them without removing the spring/ball joints/ ect..

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM
guitman32
Rookie

Even with the truck jacked up there will still be pressure from the spring pressing down on the LCA.

Sure you can put a jack under it and lower it slowly, but thats pretty dangerous considering all the subsequent work youre gonna need to do. Also, itll probably be easier to just get a bushing tool and crank them out with that, burning them is amateur status.

Like rought^ said, youre already going to have to remove to much that you might as well just go the whole way. And since most if not all the tools needed can be rented (bushing tool, spring compressor macpherson type, balljoint separator).

Last edited by guitman32; 09-09-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: is it possible to replace lower control arm bushings w/o removal ??