3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need alittle guidance and help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM
tav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need alittle guidance and help

2003 ram 1500

well I think I know the answer but here it goes, maybe there's another solution?

all lights and blinkers work on the truck.... but when I hook up the truck to trailer all works except left blinker.

I did check all fuses with multi meter and all reads 14 v but the trailer fuses read around 7 alternating on the blink, i'm thinking they don't draw much....

am I going in the right direction?

I really don't know how to back track and a bad wire (to much) if there is any, where it T's to the connector and flat 4 there is no connection just tube connections.

do you think it may be a bad blade in the connector? thinking of replacing it.

I'm this close to bringing the truck down to a custom shop that does trailer wires......glenn

Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say the left turn signal, is it the one on the truck, the trailer or both?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
tav

all lights and blinkers on the truck work...BUT...when I hook up the trailer all lights and just the right blinker works . left will not work..... yes the trailer.... switched cars and everything works

Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

That line is fed from a computer module under the fuse box in the engine compartment.
It looks like you may have a relay and fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM
tav

where would this rely be ? in the fuse compartment ? is a black block type?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Look inside the lid of the fuse box. It gives the position of each fuse, etc. I had this happen once and the fuse for the left trailer blinker was blown.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
tav

went to an RV shop and they spliced in a converter to the blinkers to the 7 blade , either that or try and back track a break in the wire and he said that would be insane....so now it works. now I can tow my boat without any tickets...

Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

I think several people of had this type of problem and replacement of the fuse box fixed it. This is more expensive than doing what you had done.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a broken wire on my factory 4 blade. Lucky it was broken just above where it goes into the loom, otherwise I would have given up as well. It was for my right side blinker/brake light. Those wires back there take a lot of abuse. It would help if the connector was in a different location, instead of under and forward of the bumper. Difficult to reach and as a consequence gets tugged on more than it should.

Quick Reply: need alittle guidance and help