3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cleaning frame rust/painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
oldskool83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning frame rust/painting

Has anyone under taken this project yet? I bought an 04 hemi with minimal frame rust until I removed the bumper (for a roll pan) and rear tire because I do not want it under the truck.It seemed to trap mosture and make the last 2ft or so of the trucks frame edges flackyish

Since I doing the truck up I know a few products, Chassis savor and POR15 are about the biggest names for products I've watched videos on.

However I can't spary inside the frame and that leads me to my question, what do I do about this? I have a friend who is a very skilled weldering and I've thought about talking to him to open up the frame and perhaps gusset it every 6 inches. I just dont want it to rust inside out.

Localy we have a power coater who can do blasting and coating on items about 4 times the size of my hemi so the frame would be easy for him. I kind of hate the truck is a boxed frame and wondering what shall I do as best of a job around frame drain holes and then weld them shut and all holes in frame so nothing can get in?

I like the "C" channel frames better but well dodge didnt use this.

Hope someone can advise.

As far as body I have been removing peice and taking them to get Line-x. My entire underside and inside of the bed and all pinch welds were done so far. Basicly I felt if it was going to see elements of outside it needed to be preserved.

Heres a pic of the under/inside of my roll pan. Lucky my under body didnt have any rust yet but was not going to take the chance.

I've temped doing my own 1Inch body lift in order to provide some clearance do the frame myself, and after doing the 3hr spark plug change i think an extra inch would it make it a lot smoother.

My last idea is maybe I need to sorce and junk yard frame and have a friend do all my welding, get it sand blasted and perhabs power coated and slowly do the swap of all parts. I feel thats a very expensive way slow way now having a garage full of the correct tools.

buying a new truck would not really solve any of these issues as it not be protected properly either so it would just need ripped appart anyway.

My 04 Honda civic however came with a full protection coating new and until this day 170K miles later no rust...i dont even clean salt off it but then again its 4inches off the ground.

yay for honda...boo for mopar...

Hope for some real world results or advise.

Attached Thumbnails cleaning frame rust/painting-linex.jpg  

Last edited by oldskool83; 10-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM
XavierCorral

I need to do this badly as well. This article details the process: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...nd_prevention/

Im not totally sure what to do with the inside of the boxed frame maybe someone more experienced will chime in on that. I wouldn't close off any holes. The water needs a place to go instead of sitting and rusting out. As for powder coating, that would be an unrealistic amount of work. I would do that for maybe an old A or B body but not a ram.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM
oldskool83

I read that article the other week. What's good about the F250 and up is they have "C" channel frame so you can litterly catch it all. Our dodges do not.

It is too cold to do anything right now and I won't be driving in salt so I think that will help but I will see what the body shop guy recomends. Hes been doing it for 40 years. My trucks really nice besides this, most seem to be. and I live in lower part of PA 40 mins from MD boarder as we do get snow but we are lucky to see maybe more then 1.5ft anymore per year..and snow is fine until they add salt to the roads thats when you best not drive.

I've seen POR15 they swear is the best but I've read many reviews It can't be reall ground off.

I've read Chassis savor has works well for people too.

I've read spay cans did not work as well as brushing it on.

I've read up on eastwood and found this last night...so far this is the only solution ive seen.

per eastwood
per a DYI jeep user
http://www.youtute.com/watch?v=n2uuaJGnbjY per another DYI jeep owner
more explination by jeep owner on internal
anotherone

http://moparforums.com/forums/f6/eas...-coating-8952/

I'm still wondering how we do our long *** frames to clean 1st? blow in somthing like simple green or mineral spirits and lets is clean it 1st? I'm pretty sold on trying this stuff on the inside of my rocker panels and frame.

Per Eastwoods Contact today:

Sean02: How can i help you today
Aaron: Hi, I am looking at your internal frame coating product. I would like to know what eastwood best recomends on how to clean out a 9 year old boxed truck frame before applying this product.
Sean02: Where were you applying the product?
Sean02: Oh nevermind i just read it
Sean02: All you need to do is shoot compressed air through it to remoove any large flakes and than spray from there
Aaron: So do not use anything like simple green or mineral spirits and pressure wash aything like road salt or road dust out?
Sean02: No it'll take a while for it to dry out before applying and its not relaly needed with the internal frame coating
Aaron: ok I wanted to make sure. I can blow out with compressed air and then apply. how about top coating with wax product I see you sell or more paint?
Sean02: I would not top coat the internal frame coating
Aaron: last internal question, should this be done once and done by 1 coat, 2 coats and shall I reapply say 2-3 years down the road.
Sean02: Honestly 1 heavy coat will do the trick while spraying it just go heavy with it but enough to do 1 side of a frame at a time. So 2 can will do both frmae rails
Aaron: SO that's it, 10 years from now no extra rust should form under it's surface?
Sean02: That is correct sir
Aaron: Sweet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Internal-Frame-Coating-Rust-Prevention-w-Spray-Nozzle-/231056136582?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item35cc04d986&vxp=mtr#ht_1676wt_966
Bought 2 can, gonna give it a try before winter sets in, outside of frame should be easy next year then.

Hopefully a week of research pays off. I ever searched this forum and found nothing!

Last edited by oldskool83; 10-04-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: cleaning frame rust/painting