3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no Bus - message on odometer ? HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
TonkawaRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no Bus - message on odometer ? HELP !

I had this message come up on my odometer over the weekend.
Nothing on my insturment panel worked except for the light.
No tach, fuel, oil, temp, speedometer. Also t he air conditioner, windshield wipers, taillights wouldn't work.

Now, I get in to go to work this morning, and the guages are working, but the engine light is on?

Has anyone else ever had this message?

Old 10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Default RE: no Bus - message on odometer ? HELP !

Cars these days use what is called CAN Communication to let the different electronic modules in the vehicle to communicatewith each other. This "bus" has two wires that connects alot of the modules togeather. normally there are two terminating or end node modules. Typicly the end nodes are the engine controler and the gauge cluster.

something interupted the messages the instrament cluster was sending to the engine controler.
It could have been electromagnetic in nature or you may have some wires that are worn through.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Skeeter
Default RE: no Bus - message on odometer ? HELP !

I have an 04 QC 4x4. Got the same message. Had the same symptons. Took the dealership 3 weeks to find the problem. After replacing the computer twice, they found a wiring connection was bad. Cost them in parts probably .50 and cost me 3 weeks in a loaner that only a grandma should drive.

Quick Reply: no Bus - message on odometer ? HELP !