3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ringing in front drive shaft under 10mph??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 AM
jj141979
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ringing in front drive shaft under 10mph??

I have an 03' 1500 4x4. When I am driving under 10mph I can here this ringing that sounds quicker the faster I go. When I slow down to a crawl(2 or 3mph) it sounds more like a squeak. I crawled under the truck and pulled and pushed all over the front driveshaft and didn't see much. I did get it to make that same ringing noise when I grabbed the shaft and my wedding ring dinged on it. I really don't what I'm looking for........any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your driveshaft needs to be greased..... do you see those little grease fittings on the shaft (near the U-Joints).

You should also look for any side to side or front to back play (a tiny bit of front to back is expected.

If you get more than an inch or Front to Back play then you've potentially got some serious issues going on with the bearings into the transmission/transfer case.

If you get side to side play (any at all), then you may have some problems with the U-Joint and/or bearings that needs to be looked at ASAP.

You should also look for any marks of something rubbing on the drive shaft and then follow that marking around the shaft looking for anything that may be coming into contact with any moving part down there.

I would also check all of your axles and hubs just to be sure the sound isn't coming from somewhere else.

Quick Reply: ringing in front drive shaft under 10mph??