3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sound System Enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:40 PM
longislandhemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Enhancement

I am just about to build a custom 10" sub enclosure to fit in the center console of my 2004 Ram 1500 QC with removal of seat top and the bin underneath. It would be a downward firing woofer and the actual storage seat back will reamin in place. Power would be from an amp running in mono mounted under the driver's seat.

Then, I suddenly got a brainstorm.

Has anyone considered mounting 10" woofers in the front door panels with a little customization to make them fit? Thus eliminating the useless 6" X 9" speakers... To compensate for the extra depth needed, I will use some custom made ringes to bump the woofers out a little bit. Due to size of cab, the extra speaker sticking out of the door should not really be in the way too much (I hope.)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Sound System Enhancement

I wouldnt recommend it....

The amount of weight added with the need of customization.....you'd be really looking into some serious work. It can be done, but honestly, you'd be better off using 8" subs or even going with 1 larger 12" sub and replacing your center console with one designed for a sub..

It's all personal preference and you can do it provided you have the money, tools, time, and know how......I just would look at other things to do rather then that.

Customization of that level ruins the truck if you ever plan to trade-in/sell it. Also, most insurance companies will not cover audio equipment anymore unless you are paying extra per policy....so you may also want to consider that as well.......

Old 10-04-2005, 04:58 PM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

You are right, u can spend that on alot of other stuff.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM
longislandhemi

Thanks guys.. Like I said, crazy brainstorm, but you just brought me back to reality. And then I woke up!

This coming from a guy who used to do custom car, club and DJ audio systems for awhile. My claim to fame was doing Flavor Flavs car way back when in the late 80's. Rocking out with the good old HiFonics amps...

I think since I am older now, I will stick with my initial plan and pursue using my Fosgate amp and a sub in the center console area. Just need to get a little bit more on the low end of the sound situation.

I just cannot see killing the little bit of very useful storage under the back seats.

Regards...

Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
pkodyssey

Make sure you keep us up to date with lots of pics. I know there are many who would love a little more punch in the low end but don't want to give up the load floor in the rear for one of those mostrosities.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM
longislandhemi

I will definitely document the process and post for all. This system will be quite scaled down from what I am used to having though.
I may start the project this weekend if wifey lets me. : )

Regards.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
1beastnstl
Rookie

i'm looking to purchase such a box for my 05 Quad cab. let me know how your install/creation goes. i found a guy on ebay who creates such a box firing down, covered with OEM skin then reinstalls the arm rest for a factory look. you would not know anything was none factory until POWER is applied! [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-30-2005, 05:02 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

why the sudden threads about audio upgrades in this forum.....dont they belong in the Audio section???

BTW....if anyone plans on installing subs in this truck.....you are going to need a new head unit, and new speakers and possibly another amp.

the stock sound system SUCKS (and I had the infinity system and still ripped it out).....with the addition of subs....you will never be able to crank the highs and mids to match the sub output...

I started out thinking this way too....but ended up dropping another 300 on speakers and 500 on a new head unit.

BTW...subs in the doors???? its gonna rattle the **** outa everything!

Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM
03RAM3.7

just make the box how u first wanted it cause your going to end up messing up your doors and your door pannels. And just put some good 6x9s and take out the cheap factory ones!

Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
deezeldogg

i think audio stuff ends up here because no one ever reads the A/V forum, especially Ram owners--at least that has been my experience so far. my question has been, where does everyone have their amp and changer mounted? i am having an install done on saturday in my quad cab, and i also do not want to give up any storage space. i am leaning towards the changer under the passenger seat, since i dont seem to have enough space uder my center seat (i have the base version, which for some reason has no space in that area). and i am considering trying to fit the amp under the back seat, but up on the lttle ledge towards the very back--anyone else have theirs mounted there? will it work?

Quick Reply: Sound System Enhancement