3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck is totaled, only '06 available

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 PM
ross944
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck is totaled, only '06 available

How did you truck take a swim????

Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

So, I went and cleared all my stuff out today. Took the plates, bed liner, Gibson exhaust and bed rail caps. It was pretty sad to see my truck in that state.

How did it happen? Well I was pulling my boat out of Plymouth Harbor (where the Pilgrims landed) Had a great day fishing, caught too many stripers to count. Back down the beach with the trailer, same spot as usual. Been to this place many times. Truck sinks a couple inches. Put it in four low to crawl out slowly, no love at all. I blame it on the tires packing up immediately and offering no traction. Well tide was on its way in. Harbormaster is there with a winch but lost the controller for it. Calls me a tow truck. Tow truck driver was an absolute moron, I did all the work. He didn't even know how to use the clips that link two chains together. So tide comes in and my truck fills with water before we get it out of the way. The first hour after low tide the water raises really fast. You can watch it rise right in front of you.

Lessons learned:
The limited slip locked up immediately which was great
The stock 20" tires suck really hard. I was planning on getting new tires before the winter but have been putting it off. They are really dangerous in the rain when you go over a railroad crossing.
Horsepower and a loud exhaust is your enemy when you are stuck. I wanted to mash the peddle so bad
Gibson SS exhaust must be a low grade stainless because the inside is rusted. It also completely filled with salt water though
As soon as saltwater reaches your paint, the vehicle is totaled. Just a hint

I really don't know what happened now that I look back on it. We took our time and have done this so many times before. I have gotten countless trucks unstuck in my life but this stuff sucked my truck right in. I actually left it in drive, got out of the truck and the truck wasn't moving but the tires were spinning slowly. It would have been pretty funny if the tide wasn't coming in.

So I am wondering what happens to my truck now. The insurance company said it was totalled because of safety issues. But the guy at the tow lot said it gets sent to auction for real cheap. So beware if you are picking up used black QC with 11K miles on it in New England.

The good news!!! I made out like a bandit. This really shouldn't be legal. The insurance company gave me much more than what I paid for it. They are even reimbursing me for the tint I had done on the front windows.

I think I can afford the diesel now.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
kniteraven

Man, I feel your pain. Curious though, what all damage did they say totalled out your truck? As of yesterday my truck has $21300 worth of damage and the jackasses are thinking of repairing it. Everyone can go to this link to see my tale of woe.https://dodgeforum.com/m_304539/tm.htm Hope everything works for the best for you. Sounds like your situation is much better than mine.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
hellraiser6

I am located in Ohio and the dodge dealership still has alot of 05's there.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
paintr2005
Rookie

sorry to hear that you don't like the 06 but that dealer should have NO PROBLEM finding you an 05 i'm in the Boston area Ma. and there are tons around here. As a matter of fact, I am almost on the verge of getting an 06, but the dealers are almost making getting an 05 sound too good to be true.... anyways good luck!

Old 10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the floor mats are your best friends and make good pads for traction if in the soft stuff, a shovel also helps.

second having pulled a military truck sunk in sand in the past, I'd make sure I have a winch before I stop in the soft stuff.

sorry to hear about your truck though

Old 10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Joey0480
Rookie

no ford...i repeat...do not get a ford. I am sure you can find an 05 like you want. I pretty much have an 04 in exactly what you had as an 05...black, 20 inch rims, towing package,etc...I got it used.
Have you considered something used. you might open your options a bit more?

Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

Yup, they found plenty of 05's for me. I got really turned off on the 06's tonight when they told me they don't come with the same stock warranty. That new hemi that shuts down cylinders without a massive warranty? No thanks!!

The thing about finding the truck I want is finding a black truck. I love black trucks and I think everyone else does too. But we found a few tonight in the local area. They do have basically the same truck on the lot with a couple of upgrades that is the dark gray, which I like. I kind of got sad when I sat in it though. I am still mourning my truck.

It seems like the dealer is really trying to move the 05's. Sounds like I might get a new truck for a couple grand less than I got my first one.

Drove a Ford, somebody slap me for evening thinking about that. Real expensive, dog slow compared to the hemi and the seats blow.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Joey0480
Rookie

SLAP!

Quick Reply: Truck is totaled, only '06 available