3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about changing tone rings to the crank and cam sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Adambomber
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about changing tone rings to the crank and cam sensors

I have come to the realization that my 2002 dodge ram will not run with the 2003 4.7 that I installed, and that the issue is the tone rings and flywheel tooth system does not interchange. So I have a few questions still. I have read some info that says I have to replace the tone rings on the cam and crankshaft. Do I have to replace the flywheel( I assume yes). What I am most concerned with is how to remove the crankshaft. Are the any special precautions? Will I have to mess with the timing chains? Would I be better to just take the engine out and sell it and buy another engine that's already interchangable? Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should really contact Air Ram (I think that's his user name) he's the 4.7L swap expert... he can tell you exactly what you need to do....

I believe he even sells the stuff you need on his website... good luck

Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Adambomber
Amateur

Ok. Yeah I saw a post from air ram where he gave a list of what years have what tone rings. And I read that he is the 4.7 expert. The dodge dealers around my town don't seem to know as much as him. The dealer parts guys told my grandfather that the 4.7 in a 2002 and in a 2003 are exactly the same and that the tone ring part number was the same(I.e same tone ring) and I have read on various websites that the 2002 and 2003 were different.anyways..... Yeah hopefully I can get his thing running for my grandpa

Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM
momatt

2002/2003 was a transition year for the 4.7. Some had 16 tooth, some had 32 tooth.

If your PCM has three plugs, you need a 16 tooth crank tone wheel, if it has 4 plugs, you need a 32 tooth. So find out for sure what you need / have.

If your new engine has a 32 tooth (pull the crankshaft position sensor and look at the tone wheel) and you need a 16 tooth, you can swap it out. Pull the 16 tooth out of your old engine, or just buy a new one from Air Ram.

I am in the process of doing this for my '99 Jeep. Download a copy of the service manual or get a Hayne's or Chilton's book to help you.

You'll need:

- The correct crank tone wheel and cam tone wheel (which is attached to the right side cam gear)

- Mopar bedplate sealant ($30 from the dealer - dries to zero-clearance)
- New connecting rod bolts ($32 from the dealer - these are TTY and shouldn't be re-used)
- Any new associated components you want to replace while you have the engine torn down. Water pump, oil pump, timing set, etc.
- Torque wrench and torque angle indicator
- Torx Drive bit to remove the tone wheel - I think it was a T25 or T30
I don't THINK the flywheel should need changed - though I don't know for sure. Mine appear to be identical (99 Jeep 4.7 and a 05 Ram 4.7).

I did this with the engine on a stand. Don't think it'd be possible to do it in the vehicle. Even if it were - it'd risk a lot of dirt getting into the bottom end.

You'll need to pull off the timing set and oil pump to be able to lift the crankshaft enough to get the tone wheel out / in.

Good luck. I haven't done anything remotely like this before but I figured it out. Just go slow and be patient.

As far as finding a used engine with a 16 tooth tone wheel - good luck! Most of these have long ago blown up or have so many miles it's not worth it. I had a lot of trouble finding a decent one so I ended up just buying an incompatible one with the knowledge I'd have to swap the tone wheels.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Adambomber
Amateur

Thx a lot momatt. Yeah I figured out that the flywheel is probably the same and does not need changed. I agree that it Sounds like this would pretty much be a complete tear down and that I should probably put some new parts in it if anything is questionable. I had a hard enough time finding this 4.7, so I see ur point about how difficult finding a 16 tooth one would be. When I bought this truck it didn't even have a core with it. I've learned a lot with buying this truck, mainly to make sure that it comes with a core and if it doesn't, make sure That the new engine you buy has the motor mounts and various plugs, sensors, oil fill tube etc. the new engine didn't have mounts and I couldn't find mounts anywhere but the dealer and those cost a pretty penny. Anyways thx for the info Momatt. Sounds like I'm about to get real familiar with my engine lol!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 PM
momatt

Ouch! Yeah I am lucky to have two complete engines to compare.

if you are not familiar, car-part.com is a good place to find used parts for cheap.

again, good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Question about changing tone rings to the crank and cam sensors