3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Member - 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Quad Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 PM
wisdom62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Quad Cab

Just wanted to say HI to everyone. This is my Second Dodge but my first Full Size. I had a Durango a long time ago which I liked but it was only 2wd so I got rid of it.

I enjoy building cars but have not built a truck up yet. So my new Dodge Ram will be my first Truck Project.

I really like the truck. Got it used for a pretty good deal. There are a few things that need to be fixed but the Hemi seems to run really good.

Things that need fixed:
Tow/Haul button missing from Shift Lever.
Minor rust around rear fenders.
Loud Exhaust (Sounds Great and Mean, just drones to much in cabin at low RPM)
It could use an alignment
Gas Gauge works intermittently

I'm sure I will have questions, but I usually just do a lot of searches to find what I need.

Is there anything that I should keep an eye on for this 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab?

I'm also located in Colorado, FYI.

Thanks
Josh

Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep an eye on your rear diff. If money allows, replace the limited slip with either an auburn or tru trac. Also, I would change all the transmission fluid and all the fluids for that matter. Check out wear items like ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:16 PM
gblanas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also recently purchased an 04 1500 Ram Quad Cab with a Hemi. I had some serious rust around the rear wheelwells, I opted to grind off the rust and paint it with some POR-15, then I installed a pair of rear fender flares from Bushwhacker. Then I bought a couple of spray cans of internal frame rust preventitive with the extension tubes. Remove your rear taillight assembly, tape the extension tube to a wooden dowel, push it inside the rear fenderwell as you can and start to spray the entire inside of the fenderwell, especially the area above the wheel wells. The earlier you catch it, the better off you will be. Just search for POR-15 and you will get links to various products to use.

Next take your truck to a reputable transmission repair place. Have them do a complete service on your transmission and drivetrain, repair whatever is needed.

Have your front drive axles checked by a dodge dealer, they can tell you if they need replacing or not and are the only ones that have the tool to install new ones without nicking the seals which causes leaks.

I also tow a 30 ft. 5th wheel, if you plan on towing anything, I would suggest a pair of Super Springs, I installed a set on my truck and notices a big difference. They cost approx. $350 and are an easy DIY install. Worth every penny! Overall, the Hemi is a beast, best gas engine I have had!

Last edited by gblanas; 11-30-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member - 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Quad Cab