3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration at take off

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
riverratba
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at take off

I have a 06 ram quad cab 2 wheel drive V8 Hemi. When I take off there is a vibration that only lasts a couple of seconds. I can ease off real slow and it doesn't do it. Seems to be worse with a load behind it. And it also does it worse when your taking off and turning at the same time. But I can also make the turn real slow and it won't do it. The vibration is pretty bad when it does it but only last a few seconds. Once you get rolling everything is smooth.I jacked the rear end up and sit it on jack stands, put it in gear and everything is smooth no vibration from the wheels or drive shaft. Also checked the u joints and they are tight. Anybody have any suggestions ? And thanks in advance !!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Sounds like the limited slip differential carrier is locking up on you. My truck did the same until I replaced the carrier.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM
mattabbyrodgers

Check your u joints closely. My truck had a driveline shudder similar to yours. I didn't feel any slop in the ujoint like you would expect from a worn part. When I removed it one of the ears the ujoint cap rides on was about a 1/4 worn away. The needles were dry. I have the old U-joint on my "wall of shame" along with all the other broken parts from my automotive hobby.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 AM
riverratba

Thanks guys for the help,I'll check it out as soon as I can catch a decent day to do it,

Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
katsrdelicious

Had the same issue but only when I took off and turned. Replaced differential fluid , put in the no slip juice and problem has been resolved for the last 5k.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

sounds like u joint. Ditto on the double check

Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM
riverratba

We'll I decided to do the easiest thing first,so I drained the differential oil cleaned everything up and refilled it with Mobile 1 75-140 synthetic with friction modifier. Problem solved ! No more vibration . Everything looked good inside the housing, no visible metal shavings or excessive gunk in the oil.

Thanks to all for the advice and help !!!

Quick Reply: Vibration at take off