3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Stop Ceramic Brake Pads and Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
kamannsj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Stop Ceramic Brake Pads and Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Hey - new lurker, thanks for having me.

I recently picked up an 08 RAM 1500 2wd and it has a tooth-losing shake when braking. I've been reading about some of the brake changes but I haven't found anything specific about this Power Stop set-up.

Is anyone running this set up Front/Rear; I'd appreciate your input. Bang for $ it looks good.

Power Stop K2164 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Power Stop K2164 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks -

Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brakemotives on ebay are cheaper and work very good.
Here's an old thread on them
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/vendor-...ices-ever.html

Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM
RonaldWright

I've haven't changed my rotors and pads yet but I'm differently going drilled and slotted rotors and maybe go to the auto store for some life time warranty pads. I had the rotors on my sport car and love how even sitting for 6 months( fall and winter) all I had to do was drive from the storage to my house and they were clean and had them on for 3 years with only changing pads.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM
abarmby
Champion

Drilled on these trucks is just overkill and degrades total brake performance IMHO and is totally a marketing aesthetic ploy.
Taking material out of these rotors, just stops them absorbing and dissipating heat more effectively.
Plus increases the chance of warping due to this heat build up and cracks, where the cheaper less quality controlled rotors with the holes seem to get.
Even slots take material out of the rotor, but this is minimal compared to drilled and slotted.
New modern pad materials do not need the "out gassing" the old pads and materials did. Which is what the slots were originally supposed to do, then in combination with the drilled.
So once again, a marketing and aesthetic ploy.
I'd go for a quality rotor and pad combination that's proven to work.
EBC are great and are what I use. I used to have the drilled and slotted with EBC, but have now gone to just EBC slotted.
I believe Hawk pads and rotors are also good, along with Centric brakes.
Just my 2p worth.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 12-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM
kamannsj

Al -
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM
big guy
Veteran

If you want to spend a fortune for brand name brakes no argument from me. I do realize the importance of stopping the truck. If you want to part with lots of cash it is a good choice. I have used the brake set ups mentioned above. My ratings out of 10 for simplicity. EBC green stuff pad and slotted and dimpled rotor. This set up works. I give it a 8. Hawk pad/ power slot rotor set up. I thought this combo is the best that I have used. I give it a 10. Brakemotive cross drilled rotors with evolution pads I rate a 9. For $198.00 for all four corners (rotors and pads) including shipping from the expired link. On my second winter now with them and they still work good. No warping or cracking. Also have them on my Oldsmobile and a Cavalier working good there too. The Brakemotive setup is the best bang for the buck. Regardless what the theory says.

Last edited by big guy; 12-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Drilled rotors have a tendency to crack, so for the best performance get slotted rotors. You might also check to see if anyone in your area can cryogenically freeze the new rotors *before* they are installed. The initial expense may seem prohibitive; however, the rotors will last much, much longer.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother with Drilled Rotors mainly b/c they aren't needed on a truck... and due to the weight they will negatively impact braking performance, b/c they will not transfer heat as effectively, and they also decrease the physical surface area of the rotor that will be engaged under braking.

Those two factors I would stick with just slotted, which will increase your initial bite, help with heat transfer and not reduce the rotor's surface area.

The only benefit (and it will be tiny) for adding the x-drilled is that they will decrease brake pad wear, but the negative is they won't help you stop any faster...

Just my .02 take it or leave it.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Izero
I wouldn't bother with Drilled Rotors mainly b/c they aren't needed on a truck... and due to the weight they will negatively impact braking performance, b/c they will not transfer heat as effectively, and they also decrease the physical surface area of the rotor that will be engaged under braking.

Those two factors I would stick with just slotted, which will increase your initial bite, help with heat transfer and not reduce the rotor's surface area.

The only benefit (and it will be tiny) for adding the x-drilled is that they will decrease brake pad wear, but the negative is they won't help you stop any faster...

Just my .02 take it or leave it.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing my front brakes with the powerstop set also. But hearing they aren't good for trucks, would the Powerstop OEM replacement kit be a better option? It's a solid rotor with ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: Power Stop Ceramic Brake Pads and Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors