3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump and Lower Idler Pulley Torque Specs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump and Lower Idler Pulley Torque Specs.

What are the torque specs for the two? I went to replace the lower idler pulley today and broke the bolt off in the water pump. I usually just snug things like that up with one hand and say good enough, but the bolt broke off before it was anywhere near snug at all.

So a simple pulley replacement has turned into a water pump replacement. Now I'm real jumpy about these bolts. If someone has the torque specs I'd appreciate it. Also is the gasket that comes with the water pump good enough or would you recommend some added sealant or something along those lines?

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my pump on my 5.7 hemi early this year.
Can't remember the torque specs bud but, as for the sealant on the WP gasket.........I didn't.
The WP seal is a ribbon of rubber gasket, that runs along the outer edge of the WP housing.
Just make sure that the block face that the WP mates to, is scrupulously clean and flat and the gasket is fitted into the WP correctly.
I just nipped the WP bolts down by hand using a socket and extension in a star pattern. This makes sure the pumps snugged down flush.
I then torqued the pump down and have had zero issues since.
No leaks nothing
My theory is, why put sealer on a gasket made for sealing anyway?
It interferes with the purpose of the main WP rubber sealer IMHO.
As for Torque specs.....someone will chime in here soon.
Al.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 12-09-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Water Pump and Lower Idler Pulley Torque Specs.