3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission rebuild: Stock vs. Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
molokovellocet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild: Stock vs. Performance?

Hey all,

So, my 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 is in need of an transmission rebuild at just over 100k miles. The truck is a daily driver, with occasional to moderate offroad usage. My question is this:

Are performance built transmisions worth the extra cost? The shop I took my truck to here in Shreveport, LA specializes in them for offroad vehicles, and I don't personally know anyone who has has one installed. They quoted my as follows, not including the estimated $400-500 in Labor:

~$1900 for a stock 46RE rebuild

~$2600 for a performance 46RE rebuild, including upgraded servos, clutches, and a beefier torque converter.

This is the second Ram I've had to rebuild a tranny on within a year of purchase, and frankly I'm tired of being frustrated. I don't want to have to worry about this again, even if I'm putting it through semi-rough usage offroad. Am I better off with the upgraded tranny, or is it not worth the added cost?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion, Yes.. but remember an automatic transmission is always using UP it parts...
and make it work HARDER.. it uses up parts faster... that's LIFE.

that is why .. real part time or full time racing only uses manual transmissions...

again my opinion. even my every day truck is a manual.
as was 90 percent of the cars I have owned in 45 years.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM
molokovellocet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I'm all for manual transmissions as well, but I've found it *******ly impossible to find everything that I want in a truck (quadcab, 4x4, longbed) in addition to a manual. Alas, I've had to be content an automatic. Thanks for your input

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild: Stock vs. Performance?