3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this wire? 2004 Dodge 2500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 11:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Not exactly sure, almost looks like its going to the canister but it's hard to follow in the pics.
It looks like a solo wire, no? If so, just wrap it with tape. It is a little weathered, but there's not much you can really do other than some electrical cleaner prior to wrapping it.

I would take a peek under your Fuse box. MANY guys have had corrosion problem on the underside of those. After looking at the pics, you seem to have some corrosion going on. It wouldnt surprise me if you had a bunch of connections all gunked up under your fuse panel. Guys have successfully taken them apart, cleaned and lubed and re-installed.

Old 12-30-2013 | 11:44 AM
Lear70
|
Rookie

Thanks, already replaced the fuse box and PCM and made sure all the connectors were good.

I have another thread going but it's so long no one was reading to the end and I need to know what this wire is. It's the only thing that has a bundle of wires going into the firewall beside the brake booster. Not sure if it's related to the ABS system or not.

it's not going into a "canister", I don't even see a vacuum canister around that area. It goes out from the firewall, under the brake booster without connecting to anything, by the strut tower where the wires are corroded and exposed, then into that L-shaped plastic bracket. There's a couple other connectors that come out and go elsewhere, but it doesn't connect directly to the fuse box (it's bolted to the bottom of the battery tray), doesn't connect to the battery anywhere obvious, and I can't see inside the box to know what's going on.

Just need to know WHAT the wire is... don't want to take it to the Dodge dealership just to tell me what a wire is so I can troubleshoot it. I also don't want to just wrap it and hope that does it. I want to know WHAT it is, WHERE it goes, so I can check it for continuity both before I wrap it to make sure it has good continuity through that corroded area and after I wrap it to make sure it's still OK. I'd also like to know what its function is so I can see if it's related to the electrical problems I have.

Old 12-31-2013 | 08:56 AM
Lear70
|
Rookie

Bumpage... anyone? Can't believe no one on this board knows what that wire goes to.

Old 12-31-2013 | 09:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by Lear70
Bumpage... anyone? Can't believe no one on this board knows what that wire goes to.

Without going out in the frigdid weather(single digits) and following the wire on my truck(if its even the same being an '08), I'd have to look at the wiring diagram. Plus, its dark out when I leave in the morning 5am and near 0*F and dark when I get home 7pm and again freezing cold. I wont have a day off until Thursday, but then we are suppose to get hammered wednesday night with 1ft of snow..yayy

Weed posted up all the wiring and service diagrams up i the FAQ section. I think he still have the links in his sig as well. I'd find it, download and start goign through to see if you can find what your looking for.

Old 12-31-2013 | 06:41 PM
Lear70
|
Rookie

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. Went to the dealership, they said it's the accelerator position wire for the cruise control module.

My cruise control doesn't work because I have no speedo right now (CRUISE ON light comes on, but won't hold speed). When I get the other electrical issues fixed, I'll check this and, according to the mechanic, if it functions, just spray it with WD40 to prevent further corrosion, double wrap it in electrical tape, and drive on down the road.

Thanks anyway for those interested... :beer:

Quick Reply: What is this wire? 2004 Dodge 2500 5.7