3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS to NON-MDS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 05:31 PM
lmarcucci7
|
Default MDS to NON-MDS

Hi everybody,

Don't really know where to post this to get the most attention. There doesn't seem to me much action in the durango forum, so i'm going to post here.

I swapped the '07 MDS Ram 1500 hemi into my '04 NON MDS Durango and my durango runs horribly. It will idle for a minute or so, but the second it warms up it will start to idle horribly and then just shut right off. When i got it on the road it ran like **** to. I would go full throttle and the truck would barely move. The truck has no check engine lights either. What would cause this? Is this because i didn't swap my heads over to the newer motor?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 12-29-2013 | 06:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

While I doubt the MDS lifters have anything to do with this, you can pull the intake and change out the lifters easily or simply disconnect the MDS harness to them

Old 12-30-2013 | 01:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

As far as I am aware, the 5.7L are identical motors for Ram-Durango minus the MDS obviously.

What ECU are you using? I know the Throttlebodies are different on those years. Not sure if the connector is all thats different or if it's the internals??? That might be your problem?
I dont know if the '04 will illuminate the red lightning bolt(T/B issue) but see if it appears at all with the key in ACC/Run but not started position.

Maybe someone locally could test and verify the T/B is good and working by mounting it to their truck?

Where did you get the engine? Did you compression check it? Maybe it has clogged injectors from sitting or from water damage?

Quick Reply: MDS to NON-MDS