3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost all coolant tonight while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 PM
nobby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lharrell79
Holy moly, the entire fan, and fan pulley has about 2-3 inches of back and forth play. So I guess the water pump is fubar. Gonna try to tear it down today.
Any Rad damage from the dancing fan blades?

You might have just gotten very lucky if all it is is a bad water pump.

Like others have mentioned....once you've replaced the pump etc....I would still do a system pressure test prior to driving it.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Take some pics. I wanna see

Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Radiator looks good. There's about 10 inches of clearance between the fan blades and the radiator. Plus, the belt kind of held the fan in place. Got the pump off. The bearing is trashed, and the pulley is looser than a 3 dollar hooker. The impeller was laying loose inside the housing. It completely ripped of the pump shaft. It's plastic, and there are pieces missing, which has me worried. They're in the system somewhere.

I flushed the radiator, flushed the block, flushed the heater core. Everything flowed good, so hopefully the little bits made there way out. Off to the auto store.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
nobby
Professional

Radiator looks good. There's about 10 inches of clearance between the fan blades and the radiator. Plus, the belt kind of held the fan in place. Got the pump off. The bearing is trashed, and the pulley is looser than a 3 dollar hooker. The impeller was laying loose inside the housing. It completely ripped of the pump shaft. It's plastic, and there are pieces missing, which has me worried. They're in the system somewhere.

I flushed the radiator, flushed the block, flushed the heater core. Everything flowed good, so hopefully the little bits made there way out. Off to the auto store.
I know on my old Civic and VW Golf I had a choice between a standard water pump and an upgraded version. The upgrade was a steel impeller.....worth the extra $10 in my opinion.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Hahahahah, I started worrying about the pieces of the pump impeller that were missing. So, I went outside, and pulled the thermostat housing, and then flushed the heater core. A big chunk of plastic came flying out of the block. I then flushed from the block side, and another big chunk came flying out. They make a perfect fit. Ok, off to the store now.

Attached Thumbnails Lost all coolant tonight while driving...-dscn3164.jpg   Lost all coolant tonight while driving...-dscn3162.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM
nobby
Professional

Hahahahah, I started worrying about the pieces of the pump impeller that were missing. So, I went outside, and pulled the thermostat housing, and then flushed the heater core. A big chunk of plastic came flying out of the block. I then flushed from the block side, and another big chunk came flying out. They make a perfect fit. Ok, off to the store now.

You have a horse shoe firmly planted up your ****.

Congrats....buy some champagne.....it's New Years and you won a small lottery.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Well, got it all back together, and she seems to be running great. Took it on a 15 mile trip, and everything seems to be working properly. She's idling smooth as silk again, and the temp needle stayed just below half the entire time. I also let it idle in the driveway for about 45 minutes. Everything looks good. I'll let it sit for a couple of days, and check for any drips.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 PM
nobby
Professional

Well, got it all back together, and she seems to be running great. Took it on a 15 mile trip, and everything seems to be working properly. She's idling smooth as silk again, and the temp needle stayed just below half the entire time. I also let it idle in the driveway for about 45 minutes. Everything looks good. I'll let it sit for a couple of days, and check for any drips.
Quick work.

Good wrenching.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn lucky you are.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Well, the truck's been sitting for a couple of days. I went outside, and looked for any leaks, and couldn't find any. Drove around town for about an hour and a half running errands and what not. I'm happy to say, she ran great. The truck is actually idling smoother than it has in the past year. So, I'm thinking that maybe the water pump pulley has been trying to go for the last year. A few things I learned:

1. 33,000 miles is unacceptable for a bad water pump. This really disappoints me, and makes me lose trust in my Dodge.

2. The 4.7 takes HOAT coolant, that's rarer than hen's teeth, and cost about 20 bucks a gallon.

3. The wrenching went very smooth. Compared to most other vehicles I've worked on, this was relatively easy to work on. I diagnosed, pulled the belt, fan, water pump, thermostat, tensioner pulley, upper and lower radiator hoses, heater core hoses, and did a full flush. Then spent about an hour getting parts. Finally put it all back together. Total time was about 6 and a half hours. Again, this truck's very easy to work on, but I hope not to do it anytime again soon.

4. Finally, I learned that the water pump is covered under my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. However, I figured that it would probably cost me more to tow the truck to the dealer, have them diagnose, charge me for coolant and whatever else, have my truck for several days, and then I'd have to worry about whether they did it right. Sometimes, it's just a lot easier and quicker to do it yourself.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

Quick Reply: Lost all coolant tonight while driving...