3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

locked cab, hood release?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locked cab, hood release?

Bought an 03 1500 the other night. Battery is disconnected due to the terminals needing to be replaced and apparently the key doesn't work in the door. Cylinder turns but doesn't unlock so I guess a rod or something is loose in the door. Is there an easy way to get the hood open without getting into the cab so I can fix the battery and unlock with the fob?

I've got a slimjim kit but I'd rather not risk scratching the door up or messing up the window seal.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can try to open the hood latch up with a long screwdriver on the mechanism. Just make sure you don't break a louver on your grill. It may help if you have someone hold pressure don on the hood to take pressure off of that lever while you are moving it. You'll have to hold it in place and see if the hood will pop up.
That, or a slimjim is the only way. I know the slimjim you get that is collapsible has those ridges to hold the unit together when closed. Yes they can damage the seals, so you have to be careful.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't get it with a slim jim so I just got a bucket to stand on and wedged the door open with some wedges and rags and took all of a minute with a coathanger to pull the lock up. Good to know about the hood if it happens again though.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using jumper cables.. connect at starter for positive and anyplace metal for ground...

KISS.

unlock doors, open hood.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good idea Chuck!

Quick Reply: locked cab, hood release?