3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Ram Stereo and Dash wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Keltik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Ram Stereo and Dash wiring question

Sorry guys if this has been posted before. Just point me in the right direction.

Ok so I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 Quad and was doing a stereo upgrade from the factory cd player. Behind the dash there is about 6 connections that where just sitting in a cut out for them not being used. Can someone identify what these are for?

Attachment 22881

Last edited by Keltik; 01-19-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keltik
Sorry guys if this has been posted before. Just point me in the right direction.

Ok so I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 Quad and was doing a stereo upgrade from the factory cd player. Behind the dash there is about 6 connections that where just sitting in a cut out for them not being used. Can someone identify what these are for?

Attachment 22881

My guess would be that they are just pre-wired for additional options that you may not have.... Power Rear Sliding Window, Heated Mirrors (Defrost), Traction Control Switch, etc.....

Do you have 2 accessory outlets? if not then one of those is likely for that....

If you don't have any problems with the truck now, I wouldn't bother with those wires. and I wouldn't even concern yourself with them.

The shiny electrical tape is definitely not factory installed though, and that vampire tap was definitely not an OEM job... I'd follow that wire and see where it goes.... it might have been for a trailer brake controller or something from a previous owner.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ What he said. These trucks are pre-wired for various options which you do not have if they are not being used. It's cheaper for the manufacturer to wire every truck the same.

Quick run-down off top of my head for things you might not have...
Heated seats(x2), rear window slider, 4wd, dual climate control option, ESC, Pass airbag on/off control(this is usually in Reg cabs not in QC's) To allow babies to be in front seat.

Almost all these trucks have a cigar lighter and most of them have an accessory hook up as well so those are prob utilized...

Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Keltik

Thanks, I was thinking it was additional options I don't have.

Curious since this subject is about the wiring. My touchscreen double din will have a reverse camera installed and I was hoping you could tell me the easy place to connect the "reverse gear signal input". Would I have to run the wire all the way to the reverse light or is there something closer in the dash I can tap into. My level of experience is beginner on this type of install. SO if you can help me barney style that would make it easy for me.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Keltik
Default Help Identify wire harnesses behind dash

I noticed I have about 6 harnesses behind my dash that aren't being used. I'm assuming they were for options my truck did not come with. I have the 2007 RAM 1500 Quad Cab SLT.

I'm curious if any of those where suppose to be for the navigation system. I am installing a reverse camera and i need to connect the "REVERSE GEAR SIGNAL INPUT" and was hoping I could splice into one of them, instead of running a line all the way to the taillights.

I've installed stereo's before but that was way back in the day. but these double din touchscreens are a little more demanding.

can any one identify which each cable is for? The bottom two that are not numbered are my cigarette lighter and aux plug. And if possible identify them by the number I indicated. That way I know which one you are talking about.

OR if you can just tell me the easiest way to connect this cable somewhere in the cab.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Ram Stereo and Dash wiring question-20140115_174541a.jpg  

Last edited by Keltik; 01-21-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Keltik

so no one knows exactly what these cables are for? or how I can find out?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Check on WEEDS links, he has service manuals.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram Stereo and Dash wiring question