3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lose Oil Pressure while idling goes up when increasing RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
elainenseth
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lose Oil Pressure while idling goes up when increasing RPM's

Wondering what could cause this.

I recently did my timing chain and everything is running excellent however over the weekend I began losing all oil pressure when I come to a stop sign or light or get stuck behind traffic and the only way to make it go back up to normal levels is to give it gas.

I changed the oil pressure sensor however this did not solve the problem.

I changed the oil today however I did not have a new filter so I will do that tomorrow.

The oil pump was changed 10,000 miles ago.

Is it possible its just the filter, because it is still happening even with new oil.

Last edited by elainenseth; 01-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything is possible, best way to find out, change the filter

Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
elainenseth
Amateur

Ok so I changed oil filter today and am still having the same problem whenever idling at 750 the oil pressure goes all the way down and as soon as i give it gas it goes up to normal levels.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a first reading oil pressure gauge. Then you will know for sure, what the problem is.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM
elainenseth
Amateur

From everything I've been reading it is most likely a clogged pickup tube and/or the intermediate timing bolt.

I don't think it's the timing bolt because when I first did the timing chain I drove around for a few days before I got a low oil pressure.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
elainenseth
Amateur

Is their any way to clean the pickup tube without removing the oil pan?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Try changing out the oil pressure sensor first. It is right above the oil filter

Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 AM
elainenseth
Amateur
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yeah..... I'd be worried about that too.
Gotta resolve that fast and no more driving before you do I'd suggest.
I'd tee a fitting into the factory sender and fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
That would tell you imediately if there's an actual oil pressure problem or an electrical stock sending unit issue. Just fit it temporarily loose in the engine bay for now. Just so you can run the engine and see if the mechanical gauge mirrors what the stock ones telling you.
Can't emphasise enough not to drive it until you know for sure what the fault is.
If the oil pickup is indeed plugged, you won't get any time to save your engine at 3 thousand revs on a highway.
Very expensive repair compared to a little time effort and relatively little money for a mechanical gauge.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 01-26-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
r-g_richards
Rookie

I don't know whether it applies to your vehicle but 4.7's used to have a problem with a sludge build up. Pull your oil cap off and look at it. If you see a creamy looking buildup on the internal part of the cap you have a sludge problem. One way to treat it is by using Seafoam in your engine oil. You add it to your engine oil just as if you are adding oil, and run the engine for about 20 minutes and then do a complete oil and filter change. This should take care of any internal buildup in the engine and thus avoid having to do a teardown. I myself have never done this but have seen quite a few write-ups of this by a number of people on other forums with good results. Being that I have never done it I cannot be responsible for anything done but you can probably check on you-tube for those that have done it.

Quick Reply: Lose Oil Pressure while idling goes up when increasing RPM's