3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lose Oil Pressure while idling goes up when increasing RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having an oil pressure issue but hopefully not as bad as your. Upon start up in the morning since it has been very cold I have 0 pressure with the check gauges light on for about 20 secs then goes off and pressure goes up and no problem after that. I changed oil today to see what happens. For me I am thinking it might have something to do with the cooler thermostat I put in right before the winter and engines sludging because truck is not getting to operating temp. It is colder than it has ever been here before. I have never hooked up a mechanical gauge before but was told I should. How do you hook up a gauge have never done it before and does it come with everything you need when you buy it. Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM
peecee78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys I have problem exactly like yours let me describe it and hopefully someone will manage to help me unfortunately my engine is dying and im aware of that :[.
I have head gasket problem - so usual stuff - stripping both heads planing them new gaskets... My heads are badly worn I have to change camshaft and all valve lifters on passenger side as they play better than piano now (before any work was done by garage head was silent). Other side is OK. Unfortunately car was in very doggy garage :/ and they give me truck back with camshaft position issues, i have some "cream" on the oil cap, and reading from oil sensor since 2 days are crazy... (i use car for 3 weeks now)
Today i changed oil from castrol 5w30 full synthetic to 20w50 mineral to stop the noise on the damaged head until I get new engine. Filter and oil done - gauge play before oil change and after. When I start engine slowly goes up and until I move the truck stay OK; once I start rolling goes down to 0. When I stop the car and idle goes up again. I find out that sensor is not a sensor it is a switch - shows half way up only or 0 no middle reading so I decided to replace it with digital oil pressure sensor to have real readings. Question - what size is the thread on the oil sensor 2002 4.7 engine N . I can get here in UK universal sensor and check what is wrong - pump or sensor (i can not buy original sensor UK have to get it shipped from US) LINK.
!!! Please do not kill me - i know head is in bad state but I can not afford to fix it AGAIN - I rather wait month or two and change whole engine - hopefully if i manage NEW.

If there is someone who knows about camshaft position sensor please contact me PM as I will like to discuss some issues and then make a post related to that problem.

THNX

Quick Reply: Lose Oil Pressure while idling goes up when increasing RPM's