3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Thumping" under drivers side floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to make sure u didn't have to remove the pipe that runs below the shaft, I have it unbolted but couldn't figure out how to pull it out, even with the bolts out it seems fairly wedged in but I'll give it a go tomorrow depending how the weather is

Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by irelandshemi
Just wanted to make sure u didn't have to remove the pipe that runs below the shaft, I have it unbolted but couldn't figure out how to pull it out, even with the bolts out it seems fairly wedged in but I'll give it a go tomorrow depending how the weather is
You don't have to remove the splined shaft that comes out of the transfer case.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i finally got it off, the thumping went away today while driving without it. Though every once in a while i thought i felt a faint version of it but it very well could have been me just feeling a bump or something along those lines because i was focused on trying to feel something.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM
stenerson
Veteran

i finally got it off, the thumping went away today while driving without it. Though every once in a while i thought i felt a faint version of it but it very well could have been me just feeling a bump or something along those lines because i was focused on trying to feel something.
Thanks for the update...Winter roads around here with all the heaving creates lots of little noises/vibrations.
You can get free rental tools from autozone or AAP to easily replace the ujoint on that shaft.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 AM
stenerson
Veteran

i finally got it off,
IF you move the u-joint does it move freely, or is it seized?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

Sorry for the long delay, between a death in the family and work times been tight, but the ujoint did not have Any noticeable play but I put a new one In anyways. The wobble is still there and usually happens right at 45mph on the dot. It was nice having it go away while I had the shaft off so any other ideas would be appreciated

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Brandon_0384

Sounds like you removed the half shaft and not the driveshaft. The driveshaft goes from the transfer case (connected to the rear of the transmission to the front differential). The u joints are in an X shape.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may mean the noise may be with the transfer case. A Chassis Ear type device would probably be helpful in homing in on the noise, but a mechanic might know what it is just by driving it and listening.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 AM
stenerson
Veteran

but the ujoint did not have Any noticeable play but I put a new one In anyways. The wobble is still there and usually happens right at 45mph on the dot. It was nice having it go away while I had the shaft off so any other ideas would be appreciated
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Was the wobble gone when the driveshaft not in place? In that case, if it wasn't the u-joint then probably the transfer case.
What do you mean by no noticeable play in u-joint? Do you mean it turned freely? Is this what you replaced?

Is this what you mean by front driveshaft?

Attached Thumbnails "Thumping" under drivers side floorboard-a34.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

Yeah it was the u joint out of the front shaft like you pictured, by no play I meant there was no looseness between the shaft and the "bracket" where the four bolts get bolted on. I guess wobble wouldn't be the best word to use but it is more of a thumping, the truck doesn't shake or anything as far as side to side. But removing the shaft made it basically go away

Quick Reply: "Thumping" under drivers side floorboard