3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cv boot leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cv boot leak

my front cv boots booth are leaking a small amount but last night I noticed one has turned into a big leak about a foot long by about 4 inches wide.can I ride this way for a while until I save up the money to replace it?what type of fluid is that ,that its leaking anyway?just wondering how soon I should get on it and have it fixed since the leak just got worse yesterday.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CV boots hold grease so I think you you have a rack and pinion leak. OR something leaking onto you axles. If your CV boots tore, it would throw green grease all over your wheel wells. I would check your power steering fluid and keep it topped off until you can fix it.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, CV is packed with a green grease, very thick. I've got an inner boot that let go and have a good bit of slime under the truck. All my rubber (boots) are shot due to my fishing a good bit of intercoastal waters.
I've got a pair of Cardone CVs, lower ball joints and upper control arms sitting in the garage. Just need to heal up a bit more from recent surgery before tackling the replacement...

Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, CV is packed with a green grease, very thick. I've got an inner boot that let go and have a good bit of slime under the truck. All my rubber (boots) are shot due to my fishing a good bit of intercoastal waters.
I've got a pair of Cardone CVs, lower ball joints and upper control arms sitting in the garage. Just need to heal up a bit more from recent surgery before tackling the replacement...
I just installed a set of of cardone HD cv's did the whole front end also: ball joints inner outer tie rods, wheel bearings, shocks etc.

Can you post pics of your outer boots installed on your truck when you are finished. I had a problem where the boot had a larger diameter than factory and would rub against the lower control arm when the suspension drooped down. I since, lowered the front of my truck to 1" lower than the rear. It used to be and inch higher with the torsions cranked.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
my front cv boots booth are leaking a small amount but last night I noticed one has turned into a big leak about a foot long by about 4 inches wide.can I ride this way for a while until I save up the money to replace it?what type of fluid is that ,that its leaking anyway?just wondering how soon I should get on it and have it fixed since the leak just got worse yesterday.
Sure you can keep driving but it will cost you more for repair in the end.
Hopefully whatever is failing doesn't cause you to have an accident!

Quick Reply: cv boot leak