3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 4.7L Stalls immediately when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 PM
PX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 4.7L Stalls immediately when cold

I've got a 2004 Ram with the 4.7L. We had some sever cold come through and my fuse box went bad and I had to replace that. At the same time, I started having problems starting it when it was cold. If I sit out in it and hold the throttle down for about 5-10 minutes to let it warm up, it will run fine. And I can drive around and start it with no problem for the rest for the rest of the day. Once I let it sit over night, I'm back to having the same problem. Does this sound like a throttle position sensor? Could the extreme cold have caused it to go bad? Wondering what else I should look to and replace? I don't get any error codes when doing the on/off, on/off, on trick.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
PX
Professional

I've just changed the Throttle Position sensor with no improvement.. Maybe a temp sensor or idle air control or a map sensor?? Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
PX
Professional

So I came across a link on another site going over how to clean the idle air control valve..

And I pulled my idle air control valve out.. it's filthy..

I'm in the process of cleaning it now.. Hopefully this helps resolve the issue. I'm still baffled by the lack of an error code...

My plan is to clean the crap out of this and let it sit until after work tomorrow before I reinstall it....

Here it is all cleaned up...

Made a mess out of the tub cleaning it. There was a lot more crap in it that I thought. clean as a whistle now. Will post results tomorrow!!

Last edited by PX; 01-26-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Updated with new photo
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PX, what mileage have you got on that?

Maybe throttle body too..............
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=105835

Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
PX
Professional

It's got 170k on it.. I put it back on and the truck fired up.. however, when I took it for a quick spin, the RPM is high, and the transmission isn't shifting. I was told by a friend mechanic that I should put the original TPS back on and make sure it's on correctly. That may be the reason for the trans not shifting. UGH!

I've had this truck for 10 years, and she's never given me trouble like this! Best vehicle I've ever owned!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM
PX
Professional

Put the original TPS back on.. and it starts and runs fine.. even goes through the shifting fine.. Going to keep an eye on it for a few days before I do anything else. I'm thinking the idle air control valve needed to be cleaned the whole time.. Makes no sense at all.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes perfect sense....

If the IAC Valve is dirty, it can't open or close to adjust throttle position and obtain a good idle, which is likely why you were stalling in the first place... The cold weather makes the air more dense which means you require more fuel in order to achieve optimal combustion.

So the cold just make the problem more apparent, that's all.

If you continue to have issues, you might want to clean the MAP and IAT sensors as well... but make sure you use the proper spray cleaner for them as harsh cleaners can make them go bad.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM
PX
Professional

Thanks for the info guys! You are right Izero, it does make sense now.. She's running great ever since cleaning that control valve. as soon as old man winter takes a break, I'm going to look into cleaning the map sensor or change it.. one or the other..

Quick Reply: 2004 4.7L Stalls immediately when cold