3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help..!! oil pressure is dropping

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
jhorch07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need help..!! oil pressure is dropping

Driving home and oil pressure drops then returns to norm. I get home check the oil and there is litteraly nothing the stick. Look for leaks.. Nothing.. open fill cap and there is yellow slime everywhere. Thought it could just be condensation since theres nothing on the stick at all. But still doesnt explain what happened to the oil. There is no burning smell (of any kind) no smoke.. no sign of anything wrong.. so eone please tell me this is not as serious as I think.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had the oil changed lately at one of those oil change places ?. If not fill it up to the full mark on the dip stick and keep a close eye on it for the next week or so to see if the oil level drops.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 AM
jhorch07

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
Have you had the oil changed lately at one of those oil change places ?. If not fill it up to the full mark on the dip stick and keep a close eye on it for the next week or so to see if the oil level drops.
No, I did the last change and everything has been fine until now. Last change was 4 months ago. Im gonna fill it and see, but hoping I dont do more harm driving it.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are not leaking oil externally then you are using/burning it internally

Check the bottom of that engine really good for leaks

Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If you are not leaking oil externally then you are using/burning it internally

Check the bottom of that engine really good for leaks
X2. Could be a blown head gasket. Also check your coolant for oil, and oil for coolant. Some shops can test for hydrocarbons in coolant as a pretty good way of confirming blown head gasket. Has to be going somewhere.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by jhorch07
Driving home and oil pressure drops then returns to norm. I get home check the oil and there is litteraly nothing the stick. Look for leaks.. Nothing.. open fill cap and there is yellow slime everywhere. Thought it could just be condensation since theres nothing on the stick at all. But still doesnt explain what happened to the oil. There is no burning smell (of any kind) no smoke.. no sign of anything wrong.. so eone please tell me this is not as serious as I think.
I also just thought about something this morning. You should check the oil about 5 to 10 minutes after you shut the engine off to give the oil a chance to drain down to the pan.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
jhorch07

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
X2. Could be a blown head gasket. Also check your coolant for oil, and oil for coolant. Some shops can test for hydrocarbons in coolant as a pretty good way of confirming blown head gasket. Has to be going somewhere.
Taking it to a dealership this wkend, I checked everything and have still found nothing. Ive done everything I can think of and looked and tested for every kind of sign of something wrong. Ill post results from dealership shop

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Being you have an '03, I'm assuming that it's not under warranty. If you can find a reputable repair shop other than a dealership, you are likely to get the same results, at a much lower cost. In my area, the dealers charge at least $75/hr for labor, with a one hour minimum. Local repair shops will often take a look at it and give you some idea of what's going on, and often how to fix it, without charging.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

What all have you checked? Did you check the drain plug for the oil pan?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
jhorch07
Arrow update

I ran an HTC test and it was good, the shops around here can't do anything on the weekends.. so I'm going to get a compression tester and run that sometime in the next hour or so. I now am hearing a slight knocking on the right bank so I may have valve seals gone bad and worse case scenario possibly piston rings to replace. I can't believe how quickly this all came about.

Quick Reply: need help..!! oil pressure is dropping