3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multi Function Switch Possible Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi Function Switch Possible Resolution

Not sure if this information has already been posted. If it has, I apologize.

For those of us that have a 2006 Ram 1500 or 2500, several have had issues with the multi function switch, or MFS: Blinkers blinking in opposite directions, windshield wipers not working right, etc. I came across a thread in another forum that showed how one user took the switch out took it apart, cleaned it up, and found that the prongs on the connections weren't even touching the board in some places. Figured I would let you know, that it's a lot simpler and cheaper to pull out and replace or clean than the dealer lets on.

There are three torx screws on the bottom of the plastic piece on the steering wheel column. I managed to get two out, but my driver was too big to get the third. I also unscrewed the steering wheel adjuster and took it off. I managed to get it apart enough with the third screw still in that I was able to unplug the harness and take the two black screws out of the MFS. I pulled firmly towards the door, and it slid right out. There are three small torx screws. I undid those, popped the MFS open, cleaned the board up, pushed the prongs up so that they'd make better connection, and then reversed the process. Haven't had the same problems with it since I've done that. Time will tell. If you want to replace the switch the recall replacement, you can get it from here for $35 instead of the $100 or so at the dealer.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's under recall then it should be a free fix, right?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

There is a mileage limit, that I noted in another post, of 150,000 miles. My truck was several thousand miles past this limit when I found out. The dealer will NOT replace it under warranty if you are past this mileage limit. So I chose to go this route.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 AM
s10ryan

do you by chance know the recall info?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by s10ryan
do you by chance know the recall info?

You can call Chrysler at 800-853-1403, give them the last 8 numbers of your VIN, and they can tell you. I think the warranty, 150,000 or 2016 applies to all vehicles. That's ask the info I can remember, I sold the truck last year.

Quick Reply: Multi Function Switch Possible Resolution