3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Problems 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
ElGenerico
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problems 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7

While driving something seems to lock up the tires, the truck will still move but you can tell something is keeping it from going. Pumping the break will release it for the most part. Have also had times where the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Took it to Midas and they couldn't find anything out after 2 days, they thought it could have been an issue with the abs system. The rear end was changed out last year and the breaks were done last September. Just looking for some ideas before i take it in to the dealership if i have to.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you explain what you mean by lock-up?

And is this while in 4wd? or 2wd?

Can you force it to happen? If so, how? [step by step]

I doubt Midas actually looked at anything other than drove it around the block once or twice.

If you have to pump the brake to release the drive train than it might be a problem with the ABS or the Brake system in general.

Either way we need some more information. Also, Automatic or Manual transmission?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have a caliper piston that is slowly seizing up---if so, you'll know soon. If there is an abs problem, I would think a DTC would be set

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
ElGenerico

It is a 2 wheel drive automatic. I can not force it to do it. It has done it at random times. When driving it feels like you are also holding the brakes down. Push the gas down should be going 60 and i'll be going 20-30. Last night when i went to park I let off the gas and it was like holding the brake down, truck did not move until i pumped the brake and it released. Not showing any lights, not abs, brakes or check engine.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Ihavealotofquestions

I have the same exact truck and problem, im probably going to take it to my local mechanic and have him look at it

Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM
ElGenerico

Since there is that chance that it could be an abs problem, could i just disable it by pulling the fuse and if it happens again assume the abs is not the issue?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 AM
abarmby
Champion

When the faults happening, drive it a short while. Then quickly get out of the truck when safe to do so and go round feeling the 4 hubs.
If a calipers sticking on, there will be a lot of heat in one or several of the hubs indicating a sticking caliper. They should all run cool and at the same temp.
Al.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Izero
Champion

This kinda sounds like a torque converter problem.... when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?

It's also possible one of the filters in the transmission is not installed properly or has failed causing a restriction in flow...

When you tap the brakes it forces the Torque Converter to engage and that might be why the problem goes away when you pump/tap the brake..

Have your transmission serviced and see where that gets you.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
ElGenerico

When it does happen, if you drive it both rear end hubs will get hot. The transmission fluid was done about 4 months ago.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by ElGenerico
When it does happen, if you drive it both rear end hubs will get hot. The transmission fluid was done about 4 months ago.
Have those trans filters looked at, I bet you one of them didn't seal properly.... just my suggestion.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7