3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about gauge cluster LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
MattFromNB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about gauge cluster LEDs

Hi Guys, I swapped my cluster bulbs with LEDs I got from superbrightleds.com, so they're not cheap eBay ones from China. lol But the problem I'm having is there's always one or two that's flickering. I tried bending the little metal tabs so they'd be a little tighter but they still end up doing the same thing after a while.

Anyone had that problem and found a fix for it? I thought about opening the cluster and soldering them on, but I've always been against screwing around gauge needles. And my truck is a street truck so it's not like I'm driving on extremely rough terrain.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I did the same LED conversion on the gauge cluster with the leds from superbright. Which LED's did you buy? The b8.5's? I tried each different bulb (bought 3 of each) to test brightness, fitment, light coverage, etc. I found that the NEO5 WHP or BHP fit best with the least amount of trouble. The b8.5s were a lot more difficult for me to get working right.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 AM
MattFromNB

Yeah, they're B8.5s...pretty sure the NE05 would not work on my cluster.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

If the b8.5s will work, then the neo5's work. They are both 5mm LEDs. Here's a link to the NEO5HP's that I bought. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...panel-led/221/. I have a 2006 Ram, so if they work on mine, they should work on yours. I went back through the many pages of a thread on another forum. I believe I had to modify the lights a little bit, by cutting a small piece of the plastic off for the HVAC. I can't remember if I had to do that for the cluster. I know the forums generally frown upon linking to another forum, but on post #545 of a thread on another dodge forum, there is a picture of what to cut. The neo5's definitely fit better and work better than the b8.5ds after cutting that little plastic piece. I also used the NEO4HP for the overhead console, they were pretty tight, but fit.

Quick Reply: Question about gauge cluster LEDs