3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drastic mpg drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Over a hundred thousand miles of 87 octane in an engine with a compression of well over 9:1 I'd bet the cylinder walls are scored to hell from pre-detonation so the seal would be terrible. Would account for a fairly significant drop in fuel economy but IMO would do so over time and not all at once.

ALSO this truck came with standard copper plugs RATED FOR 30,000 miles. I've seen 'em still in decent shape at 50k miles but 116k???

Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I know there was a drastic warm up(45*F.lol) for a couple of days. It melted a lot of snow. This means a lot of water run off. Where does that water go when the ground is frozen? It gets mixed in with the gasoline that is in the tanks under ground.
Not to mention the moisture that happens naturally from weather changes.

I only use High volume gas stations. I avoid the small stations, ones that get little traffic and the old stations that are using old school pumps(tanks have got to be leaking and/or rusting)
I've never had gas problems because I'm selective.

Where do you live?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Wyldbill77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I know there was a drastic warm up(45*F.lol) for a couple of days. It melted a lot of snow. This means a lot of water run off. Where does that water go when the ground is frozen? It gets mixed in with the gasoline that is in the tanks under ground.
Not to mention the moisture that happens naturally from weather changes.

I only use High volume gas stations. I avoid the small stations, ones that get little traffic and the old stations that are using old school pumps(tanks have got to be leaking and/or rusting)
I've never had gas problems because I'm selective.

Where do you live?
I'm in mass

Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting some "dry gas" in the tank to get rid of all that water wont hurt... worth a shot.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Easy_e
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldbill77
That would make perfect sense seeing how this has started ever since I had my remote starter installed, been doing alot of idling with the starter put in...I'll also start using the 89 octane since this is what is recommended and go from there. Thanks so much for your help. I also have another problem that has just started a couple of weeks ago but I'll start a new thread on that. Thanks again.
I didn't even know I had remote start until I accidentally activated it this winter.

I use it all the time since it's been so cold.

My daily commute is relatively short (10-15 minute local drive) and I'm usually warming up the car with remote start for at least 5 minutes.

I noticed that I've lost 4 mpg.

Quick Reply: Drastic mpg drop