3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Many, many elusive problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Dave145
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many, many elusive problems

Hey guys. Got a laundry list of issues gong on with my '07 Ram 1500. First off about the truck. It's an '07 quadcab Lonestar Edition 4x4 with just over 76,000 miles on it. 5.7L V8, 5 speed auto trans. Lifted 4" with 35" tires on it.

...Now let's have some fun...

1. Pulsating vibration. Not severe, but happens anywhere from 40-55mph on flat level ground. Feels like it's coming from the rear. Checked diff fluid and it's full. Vibration is light, but can be felt throughout the whole truck. Im thinking maybe U-Joints or trackbar/sway bar bushings?

2. AC doesn't work. At all. Push the button in the dash and the light doesnt light up. Checked it at a dealer and when the button is pressed it sends a signal, but thats it. No light or compressor. Checked fuses, all are good.

3. Clunking noise at left front. Started after driving down a bumpy road. I hear it VERY RARELY, but I'd still like to know what it may be. Sounds like 2 heavy metal objects hitting each other...a dull "clunk".

4. Severe loss of power at times. Engine vibrates a ton during this period. Feels like Im dragging a house behind me. Exhaust at this time smells NASTY and comes through heat vents. Engine SOUNDS like the MDS system is stuck on when this occurs...not sure if that's the case or not...just saying that's what it sounds like. My guess is a plugged catalytic converter? Doesnt make much sense since I just got it emission tested a week ago and passed flawlessly...

5. Side to side shimmy. Happens when hitting a large bump in the road. Whole truck kind of bounces side to side. Tires are at around 40ish PSI. The tires (Nitto Trail Grapplers) website says they can go to 50ish I think but Ive been told to stay at 40 PSI MAX.

6. Brakes heat up REALLY FAST. Meaning that if I apply the brakes lightly for say, 200 feet, the pedal goes hard. I just did brake pads and rotors a few weekends ago...dont want to warp ANOTHER rotor. My guess is this just happens because of the huge tires...which sucks. Any way to prevent this?

7. Now my transmission is shifting weird. Shifts 1 to 2 are smooth, 2 to 3 is HARD (jerks the truck violently), 3 to 4 is smooth, and 4-5 is FIRM. Im not OVERLY concerned with this, but the 2 to 3 shift was never as hard as it is now...why would it have changed?

8. The drivers door lets in wind noise. I see in one of the threads here that I need to buy the newer weatherstripping? Well that or have the doors realigned...and seeing as how the passenger rear door is not aligned correctly (sits too high), I can only guess that the drivers side door isn't aligned very well either.

9.Okay this is just a question in general. Is there a way I can make my steering stronger? Meaning that when Im moving at parking lot speed or sitting still, I can't turn my frickin' wheels! Again, I know, because of the larger tires. I know on older vehicles you could put a smaller pulley on the PS pump to overdrive it a little bit to aid this issue, but is there anything I can do to aid in turning the wheels? It'd be nice to be able to actually park the thing like a normal person...

When I bought the truck I was told it needed a left front strut, as the one on it leaked a bit.

Well there you have it. Its got a new throttle body and APPS sensor on it as well as having all its computers reset to new. It has new brake pads and rotors all around. It's got a new water pump.

Still new to working on these modern cars (I maintain my 1978 Ford regularily...like night and day to this thing). Its also about 10 degrees here in Southern Wisconsin and I have no garage. Mind the possibly stupid questions...my brain is still a little frozen.

Last edited by Dave145; 02-26-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy it new? How many miles now?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Dave145

No I bought it used as the third owner. Bought it with 74K on it, currently has just over 76K on it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I did blue under your questions
Originally Posted by Dave145
Hey guys. Got a laundry list of issues gong on with my '07 Ram 1500. First off about the truck. It's an '07 quadcab Lonestar Edition 4x4 with just over 76,000 miles on it. 5.7L V8, 5 speed auto trans. Lifted 4" with 35" tires on it.

...Now let's have some fun...

1. Pulsating vibration. Not severe, but happens anywhere from 40-55mph on flat level ground. Feels like it's coming from the rear. Checked diff fluid and it's full. Vibration is light, but can be felt throughout the whole truck. Im thinking maybe U-Joints or trackbar/sway bar bushings?
Could be a bent rim or the tires. 35" tires are big and hard to balance, especially when they become worn. I would say rebalance if they have over 10kmi on them
2. AC doesn't work. At all. Push the button in the dash and the light doesnt light up. Checked it at a dealer and when the button is pressed it sends a signal, but thats it. No light or compressor. Checked fuses, all are good.
Have the low pressure sensor checked. If it's bad, no A/C. If it's working, check the actual pressure of the system.

3. Clunking noise at left front. Started after driving down a bumpy road. I hear it VERY RARELY, but I'd still like to know what it may be. Sounds like 2 heavy metal objects hitting each other...a dull "clunk".
What type of lift do you have? I know leveling spacers cause this. It could be because your struts aren't working well enough if not leveling kit. They are allowing excessive bounce.

4. Severe loss of power at times. Engine vibrates a ton during this period. Feels like Im dragging a house behind me. Exhaust at this time smells NASTY and comes through heat vents. Engine SOUNDS like the MDS system is stuck on when this occurs...not sure if that's the case or not...just saying that's what it sounds like. My guess is a plugged catalytic converter? Doesnt make much sense since I just got it emission tested a week ago and passed flawlessly...
Could be converter. Smell is converter, can also cause lack of power. If there are chunks inside, they could be moving around which is why sometimes you lose power and other times not. Raw fuel and coolant cause the insides to literally melt into a blob. If inside breaks up, the honeycomb material has to be a certain way or else flow won't happen. This stuff may not actually set any codes. I would check Active DTC codes with a professional scanner or Tuner will work to see if MDS is throwing anything. I would also highly reccomend a plug change. Due every 30kmi and probably never done on your truck. 16 plugs. Use the cheap coppers.
5. Side to side shimmy. Happens when hitting a large bump in the road. Whole truck kind of bounces side to side. Tires are at around 40ish PSI. The tires (Nitto Trail Grapplers) website says they can go to 50ish I think but Ive been told to stay at 40 PSI MAX.
Could be linked to your clunk. Bad struts. I would also check your swaybar bushings and end links. An incorrect alignment will cause this as well.

6. Brakes heat up REALLY FAST. Meaning that if I apply the brakes lightly for say, 200 feet, the pedal goes hard. I just did brake pads and rotors a few weekends ago...dont want to warp ANOTHER rotor. My guess is this just happens because of the huge tires...which sucks. Any way to prevent this?
I would flush your brake fluid and clean off your pads. It's possible they are greasy and/or are glazed from improper break in. Glazing of the pad in no good. You can scuff the surface of the pads up with some emery paper or sandpaper. Maybe 600grit or something along those lines. My guess is they are glazed.

7. Now my transmission is shifting weird. Shifts 1 to 2 are smooth, 2 to 3 is HARD (jerks the truck violently), 3 to 4 is smooth, and 4-5 is FIRM. Im not OVERLY concerned with this, but the 2 to 3 shift was never as hard as it is now...why would it have changed?
I would change the filter and fluid. Old fluid doesn't dissipate heat and heat causes excessive pressure. Could cause harsh and erratic shifts. new fluid has the right amount of friction modifier, cools properly, lubricates evenly. Here's a flush procedure that works well. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...procedure.html

8. The drivers door lets in wind noise. I see in one of the threads here that I need to buy the newer weatherstripping? Well that or have the doors realigned...and seeing as how the passenger rear door is not aligned correctly (sits too high), I can only guess that the drivers side door isn't aligned very well either.
This is typical. I think there are revise door seals, but not sure??? Some bend the top of door in(I wouldnt do) Others have replaced the seals. This I what I would do.

9.Okay this is just a question in general. Is there a way I can make my steering stronger? Meaning that when Im moving at parking lot speed or sitting still, I can't turn my frickin' wheels! Again, I know, because of the larger tires. I know on older vehicles you could put a smaller pulley on the PS pump to overdrive it a little bit to aid this issue, but is there anything I can do to aid in turning the wheels? It'd be nice to be able to actually park the thing like a normal person...
I think you may have an internal rack leak. it's common for these trucks. Check your fluid(although, someone may have added some already... Check for leaks at the boots. Install a new rack if your gonna do an alignment.
When I bought the truck I was told it needed a left front strut, as the one on it leaked a bit. What I thought. probably why your having some issue's as I stated above.

Well there you have it. Its got a new throttle body and APPS sensor on it as well as having all its computers reset to new. It has new brake pads and rotors all around. It's got a new water pump.

Still new to working on these modern cars (I maintain my 1978 Ford regularily...like night and day to this thing). Its also about 10 degrees here in Southern Wisconsin and I have no garage. Mind the possibly stupid questions...my brain is still a little frozen.
No I bought it used as the third owner. Bought it with 74K on it, currently has just over 76K on it.
Probably because 2nd owner had all those troubles is why they sold it.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Easy_e
Amateur

Do you know what mods are on the truck if any?

When you purchased the truck did it run fine for a while? Or did it have existing known issues? If so, what were/are those issues?

What was the progression of things that stopped working or became an issue since you have owned the truck?

What are all your CEL codes?

Do you have the prior owner(s) maintenance records?

Can you get the maintenance records for a dealership?

Try this: Go the mopar connect website (see link below). Create an account and enter your vin number. After you have entered your vin number you will get the available maintenance records for your truck that was done at any dodge dealer as long as it was submitted to this database. It may take a few days for the maintenance records to populate. Review the maintenance records and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...nersLogin.aspx

Based on all the issues, it almost seems as though the truck was not properly maintained, which could have possible lead to more issues.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also you may just need to change the power steering fluid. I know this helped mine immensely, but of course, as dog said, check the system out very carefully before you decide on the repair

Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Dave145

I've got a 4" suspension lift on it and 35" nitto trail grappler tires. I also have dual exhaust. Doesn't sound like a friendly repair bill at all though. I bought it knowing it had a leaky water pump, leaky steering rack (no external sign of leakage...), leaky front left strut, and non functional AC.

Just drive the truck home tonight from work. Can hear the trans slipping off 3rd gear and dropping back to second. Then it shifts back to third, then fourth and harshly fifth. Watching my tach go crazy and the tone of the exhaust change is enough to tell me its shifting weird.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Dave145

And there are no codes thrown right now. About a month ago it was throwing a fault for the MDS system, but my dad (ASE mastertech) said it was just a rationality fault. When the TB died, we replaced it and have yet to see the MDS code return so...maybe it was related to that? I don't know. Otherwise, no codes at all. I have a scanner I'm using to check these as well if that helps.

No, no maintenance records from the two PO's. I tried to get a history on it for service records and still came up empty handed.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Dave145

Oh and one more thing, it has a 4" rancho lift on it. 4" lift front, 2.5" lift rear.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Easy_e
Amateur

I'll answer what I can.

1. Pulsating vibration.

Rotate your tires and see if the vibration moves to the front so you can rule out tires. If you can do it yourself it's free. Otherwise check all of the rear suspension and drivetrain components.

2. AC doesn't work.

What dirtydog said. Probably is low on refrigerant.

3. Clunking noise at left front.

If the left front strut is leaking, then the shock has got to be bad. Does the clunking only happen on the biggest bumps?

4. Severe loss of power at times.

Maybe the egr valve since it doesn't seem to be the cat. I would also make sure the pcv valve is working properly.

5. Side to side shimmy.

Rotate your tires and see if the shimmy changes in anyway so you can rule out tires. If you can do it yourself it's free. I would also check all 4 shocks and struts.

6. Brakes heat up REALLY FAST.

I would have the brake lines bleed. If you pump the brakes repeated while parked does the pedal get hard? Then it sounds to me like you got air in your brake line.

7. Now my transmission is shifting weird.

What dirtydog said. Check to see if there is any damage to the filters.

Last edited by Easy_e; 02-27-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Many, many elusive problems