3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Timing Cover Housing Gasket on 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Bison9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Timing Cover Housing Gasket on 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins

Yep, you read it right - I found out yesterday that I have a shot Timing Cover Housing Gasket (and water pump) on this truck - 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins.

Its a $35.00 part and takes them 12 hours to get to via tearing apart the entire truck pretty much. Got quoted $1,850.00 for the whole job as I broke down and took it to the dealer for this. This is not a job for a rookie...

I am wondering a couple things here.

First of all, I am hearing this to be a rare thing to have happened. So, what causes this?

Secondly, I did so much research a year and a half ago before I did my own coolant flush and refill. I came to the conclusion to flush the Red looking factory stuff that was in there and went with the Zerex G-05 – HOAT stuff... Now, at that time, I was reading other articles about guys saying seals and gaskets get busted up with other kinds of coolant... So, you all know where this is going. Was it the Zerex G-05 – HOAT stuff that did me in here?

Nonetheless, I am going to have them purge the Zerex and go back to what should be in this truck. I am starting to find that if you don't put Mopar everything back on this truck, you will be left in the hurt box.

In all honesty, I am about to be done with the whole Dodge experiment. I bought this truck 2 years used for $28,000 back in 2006 and I did a count. I have dumped $15,000 plus into this truck in repairs and whatnot over 120,000 miles. It blew a fuel injector at 65,000 miles among other things. I tow a boat about 5 times a year, do no offroading, and baby the snot out of this truck. This should not be the case here... Starting to wonder really...

Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a coolant replacement on my 5.7 with zerex hoat at 50K miles, I now have 192K on the same zerex and original cooling system. I think your truck may have been built on a Friday before siesta time or Monday after Fiesta!

Seems like you've had to invest a ridiculous amount of repair bills in your truck!!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Bison9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I broke down and took it to the stealership when I got the first diagnosis. I am going to need somebody who has done this job before.

Also, the first mechanic made it sound like coolant was leaking out of the Timing Cover Gasket. These were his initial remarks on my bill/comments sheet making me think this was the case:

"The main concern is that the antifreeze is leaking from the water pump and the timing cover housing. Water Pump is the biggest leak but timing cover has a substantial leak and will cause the front of the engine to be covered with fluid."

So... This makes it sound like coolant is leaking from the Timing Cover Gasket at first glance...

Seeing as how I had no idea what this was until about 48 hours ago, I thought the Zerex was coming into contact with this gasket. Well, I come to find out that this Timing Cover Gasket would ONLY show signs of leaky oil. So, I was posting about the Zerex thinking it was coming into contact with that Gasket seal but alas, its just oil there.

So, you are right, the Zerex is definitely not my problem.

Nonetheless, I am going to have the dealership replace the water pump first, clean the area, and then look for the Timing Cover Gasket oil leak. I will be surprised to be honest if this gasket is actually the problem. We'll see!

Last edited by Bison9; 03-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Timing Cover Housing Gasket on 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins