3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you tell if your truck has been tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you tell if your truck has been tuned?

So I recently bought a 2004 Hemi Ramble Bee Ram (Not a Rumble Bee) from my best friend since Elementary School and this truck is AH'MAZING!. Anyway he said that he put a tuner on it years ago and that it should still be on the truck.

I'm wondering, are there any ways to tell what kind of tune has been done to the truck? He said with the K&N intake, open Exhaust and tune I'm looking at nearly 400hp out of the truck.

It certainly doesn't feel like a stock hemi, hemi's are quick but this thing gives you a huge rush, I'm just kind of curious what the tuning is like on the truck. Things that make me think its true are the 13.1mpg hwy average and the fact it hauls so much ***!.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
ALW1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does he still have the tuner that was used? Once the tune is installed the tuner is paired with the truck and useless anywhere else until the tune is removed.
The diablosport tuners will show you the last tune written. Unless the dealer has flashed the computer that tune should still be there

Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would help to ask the seller and if it was, you need the tuner or need to get him to restore to stock and get your own tuner. Other than that, you may be able to get a dealer to reflash it to stock settings and start over with a new tuner. As noted above, if it has been tuned, you are stuck with what it's set at unless you get the tuner that was used. You can't buy another tuner and use it unless you start with an ECU with stock settings.

I once bought a Super Chips for mine. I bought my truck new off the lot and it had never been tuned but the Super Chips kept saying it couldn't load a new tune because the truck wasn't set to stock. After a few weeks of dealing with Super Chips tech support, I finally just sold the thing.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 hp out of a hemi? From 345???
Not a chance a re tune is going to net that .. Or dodge would have done it right from the factery..

Cai and true dual my get ya 10 hp at the fly wheel, custom tune 15 hp if that, if you dont have the orginal tune module, seat of the pants analysis is pointless..

On my hemi with true duals and a home made cai and stock tune, im lucky ifvim getting 5 hp overvstock..

Quick Reply: How do you tell if your truck has been tuned?