3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To flush ot not to flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
andy duphrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To flush ot not to flush

hey guys new to dodge forum but have been on several forums in the past. I have spent a significant time searching the site for info and i just cant come across a straight answer. First off I have a 2005 ram 1500 4X4 QC automatic with the 5.7 hemi with 77K miles. my question is this do i or do i not flush the trans fluid. I am having a few small issues for example when cold regardless of how long i let the engine warm up it seems to have a lag going in and out of gear. On the few days in was stupid cold (-20 or below) it would send the trans into limp mode (only happened twice. dont like to talk about it) . anyways what i can gather is changing the filters is a must however i am getting mixed responses on weather or not to leave it alone, just drain the pan, or flush it completely. bearing in mind i have access to a full dealership garage due to connections i have in town. any input is welcome and if there is any info you need from me just ask and i will attempt to response ASAP. thanks boys.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM
stenerson
Veteran

I would drain out and replace all the fluid via cooler return line.. Dirtydog has a good writeup on it here.
Power flushes that use high pressure are what some folks believe could cause problems.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By flushing you just mean a complete fluid exchange. I would think since your transmission is acting up a complete fluid change would be better. Might not fix your problem but if it doesn't then you have something else going wrong.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the flush that dirty has a write up on don't go the a shop and have them flush it add it pushes to much pressure and can mess things up

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie

In my past experience with fluid flush/exchanges, most fluid/flush machines I have used were solely operated by the transmissions pump. Most machines are simply filled with new fluid of recommended type, hoses hooked up inline in the transmission lines and the transmission pump does all the work.

Any who, back to original topic, I suggest a flush no matter what. New fluid even early in a scheduled interval will not hurt. I would do filters if you have not changed them since ownership or after a complete flush as before it would be wasteful.

Quick Reply: To flush ot not to flush