3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd gen shut off problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
jetman150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im trying to think this through a bit.. as far as logical scenarios that could replicate the symptom..

im guessing, that since there are 2 check valves on the tank, and a ball in the filler neck, that the chances of them all three causing a closed system vacuum , that might keep the fuel pump from pushing out fuel, that seems like more of a statistical oddity.

i do agree with the evap canister recieving gas, but wouldnt you see signs of that from the purge solenoid malfunctioning and throwing a check engine light?
especially since the evap canister is positioned well below the top of the gask tank?

I had the thought of replacing the evap canister, just for grins, but my deal is, how much money do i throw at this problem, without knowing the full extent of the problem?

It seems to me that the frequency of occurence, with other owners/vehicles, is quite a bit..

Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This issue has been discussed numerous times...
Guys fill up, and their truck dies when going around a turn.

Check valve is the problem with shutting off apparently.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
This issue has been discussed numerous times...
Guys fill up, and their truck dies when going around a turn.

Check valve is the problem with shutting off apparently.
Usually I see this being the issue when someone allows the truck to run out of gas. I think it loses prime. I know for a fact if you install a new fuel pump and don't prime it you experience the same issue. I've been told by more than one Mopar tech that runing out of fuel to the point of a stall does irreparable damage to the fuel pump and it will periodically stall until the pump is replaced.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Usually I see this being the issue when someone allows the truck to run out of gas. I think it loses prime. I know for a fact if you install a new fuel pump and don't prime it you experience the same issue. I've been told by more than one Mopar tech that runing out of fuel to the point of a stall does irreparable damage to the fuel pump and it will periodically stall until the pump is replaced.
Yeah, running fuel too low burns up the pump. Fuel is the cooling agent for a fuel pump.
I tell my wife all the time to stop running the fuel so low. been telling her for 9yrs. She keeps saying. I know. I know but nothing ever changes.

Generally fuel pumps die when you park a perfectly running vehicle, let it cool for maybe 10min or so and then try to start it again. Sometimes it happens at the pump..lol

Quick Reply: 3rd gen shut off problems.